Prologue pt. 2

I paced back in forth in the waiting room, sweat trickled down my forehead. What are they doing to her? What are they doing to her?

The people around me minded their own business, I figured they had they had their own problems, like mine.

A man sat with a scarf wrapped around both his wrists and his neck with a leather jacket.

A woman in red and her child, sitting on her lap buried in her chest as she stared blankly straight at the boring posters on the walls.

A nurse coughed quite loudly from the back desk, catching my attention. Her eyes were looking at mine, and they signaled warning, and got up from my lousy hospital chair and walked over.

"What's going on?"

The nurse doesn't look at me but spoke. "Follow me." She made her way out of the desk area and walked towards a hallway, as her command, I followed. The hallway was lit with its dying fluorescent lights, and emitting the sounds of the sick.

I noticed her slim face, blond hair, with bags under her eyes, she's too young to work here, she still has hope.

She leads me to an elevator. She pushes the button with an up arrow, and the steel doors open. "3rd floor, room C3." I walk inside of it. "Good Luck." She whispered and pressed the button for me.

The doors closed and I felt the rush of the gravitational pull. I grab the metal railing on the side and tightens my grip. I kick the side of the door several times before wincing in pain. It still hurt worse than this. Stupid.

The elevator stopped to a halt, making the lights twitch, and the doors open. I ran out before the doors weren't fully opened.

The room number flashes through my head and I stop at the correct room but my shoes keep sliding. I finally got traction on my feet, I fix myself and open the door.

"Where's m-?" Her voice stops as she hears the door creak. She looks at me, and does a double take before looking back at the man sitting next to her, other known as her father.

"Where's my mom?" She asks him, her father.

"Honey, your mom's in Hawaii on a business trip. Remember?"

She looks at him skeptically and leaned back. "Don't call me honey. Only my daddy can."

"I am your dad," he looks up at her, tearing up. She shakes her head. "What does, he, look like?"

She hesitates at her response, and she chokes. "I don't know." She looks insulted.

I'm shocked. They were so close, how could it just... I try to shut the door quietly, but it makes and loud noise. They both turn and look at him. The father gets up from his chair. "I'll leave you two alone for awhile," He starts walking out before he whispers in my ear. "Don't get upset if she can't remember, just push past."

"Can you get a chocolate fudge-pop?" I tell her father and shrug over to her. He nods and smiles and continues to walk out, the door makes the same obnoxious noise as when I walked through it.

I turn, she's playing with a beautiful charm bracelet in her lap. I stand still before making my way to the chair next to her. She's sitting up with bags under her eyes all sickly and pale, with the hospital blanket covering half of her. She's wearing a hospital gown, showing some long scars that have been treated with some sort of peroxide and poorly made bandages.

"Where'd you get the bracelet?" My question slits through the air.

She steals a glance before looking at the bracelet. "I don't know, it was on me when I got here." She replies gently. "Where am I?"

"A hospital."

"Who are you?"

I stiffen, she forgot. "Did I say something wrong?" She looks around. "Who are you?"

"Liam," I quietly reply.

"It sounds like a nice name." She jingles the bracelet in her hand.

"You've told me that before,"

She stops. "I haven't met you before, how?"

Silence. "Amnesia,"

"No, I don't like it." She backs toward her pillow. She sets the bracelet down on the night stand next to her. She grabs the pillow behind her and puts it to her chest squeezes it.

She remembers that? "What is it then?"

"When one can't remember something as the simplest as it can be," We both say at the same time.

"You're scaring me," she urges.

"So are you." I reply. Silence.

"Kay?"

"Yes?"

"I'm going to talk you through life."