Wattpad Original
There are 26 more free parts

BONUS ~ protect

verb ~ to keep safe from harm or injury

PHOENIX

I sought out my Beta, finding him making himself a coffee in the kitchen. He glanced up from the countertop, giving me a small smile in greeting. When I approached, I watched as his nostrils flared and an excited look covered his face.

"You slept together?" He grinned.

I rolled my eyes, leaning against the counter beside him. "She came into my room."

He chuckled, stirring his drink. "She used to do that constantly when you were away."

I smirked, "I could tell. She has a very potent smell."

He nudged me, laughing. "At least I can happily say she was no longer with Sean."

A small growl escaped my mouth at the memory. When I was gone for those weeks rallying troops and learning as much as I could about Nova, I had Charlie report back to me. I was pleased she chose to sleep in my room and coming home to find my sheets askew and covered in her scent was even better. I hadn't changed them for days, to just bask in her. The very idea she chose to sleep in my room for comfort made Ares practically purr in satisfaction.

Once I found out that my Gamma had been sleeping in my mate's room, in my mate's bed, I was furious. As soon as I got back, I reprimanded him and he took the shame with reluctance.

Even after the office meeting I had Charlie arrange, he was by her side. I could not contain my anger upon his words; I could tell she was growing feelings for my mate. Once she had left, I hunted him down and showed him he had no right. It had turned physical, and if it wasn't for Charlie breaking us apart I had no doubt I would've seriously injured him more than a broken nose. But that was exactly why I hadn't attended the meeting between the three of them; I would kill him where he stood in the heat of the moment.

But then, one morning Charlie had approached Nova to ask her for her hand with inventory lists for the bathrooms. He had wanted to give her some responsibility he found himself uneducated with; female hygiene. We had no suspicion that day, but on approaching her room he found Nova half-dressed with a reaction of indifference. She had not understood his questions about Sean's whereabouts and in her naivety did not understand how imposing and improper it was for him to share her room.

He had gotten too comfortable with my mate whilst I was gone, but that was the problem; I was gone. I was going to make sure I was never gone again. Nova would not leave my side.

"You there?" Charlie suddenly chuckled.

I blinked down at him, realising my face had turned into a snarl. "Lost in my thoughts, I apologise Charlie."

He shrugged, sipping his coffee. "Must be those mate hormones. Where is she anyway?"

I shrugged off his teasing, forcing my stiff body to relax under the tension. "Getting her parents up to steam...Speaking of, you've got everything covered whilst I am gone?"

He rolled his eyes, walking away from the kitchen. "You say that like I have not been your Beta for ten years. I am older than you, you know."

I scoffed. "By three days."

He laughed, waving his hand in the air as he left in the direction of his office. I watched him go with a chuckle, his annoying personality never failed to make me smile even in the most confusing parts of growing up. Becoming Alpha at 15 hadn't been easy, but once I was wise enough, I knew that Charlie was going to be my Beta.

Pushing myself away from the counter, I nodded in greeting at the wolves I passed by. I made my way outside, noticing many wolves already out here and eager to set off. I inhaled deeply, cracking my joints in aid to calm my eager heart. I was ready for this, ready to take down the cursed men who were harming innocent people.