Chapter Seventeen: Elusive

Start from the beginning

Rooftop

Jay eyed the metropolis before him from behind sunglasses. He had taken to wearing the eyewear to avoid attracting attention with his now multi coloured swollen right eye. Sighing he leant over the wall and viewed the figures walking along the footpath below, transformed into doll size mannequins by distance. From this span he couldn't tell who was sad, who was happy or who was struggling through their day. He realized that he could compare that lack of knowledge to Wells. They only knew minor details about the man and therefore could not get the full picture. A sound from behind had him straightening up too quickly and he would have lost his balance if a strong hand had not grabbed his arm to steady him.

"Whoa! You okay?" Al asked with obvious concern.
"Yeah ..... yeah I'm good," Jay insisted pulling away from the older man and leaning back against the wall, "didn't hear you that's all "
"I know you weren't thinking of jumping so what were you doing?"
"Just thinking how we're not seeing the full picture with Wells," Jay shrugged, glad he could squint behind the sunglasses without worrying his friend, "it's as if he's out of focus."
"Or 'they're' out of focus," Al corrected, "did the Wells on the DVD footage look any different to the Wells that you met in Central Park or the one that hurt you?"
"Can't say I noted any difference," Jay admitted unhappily before conceding, "but the concussion could be effecting my memory."
"Yeah a Grade 2 concussion can cause memory issues but at least you didn't suffer a loss of consciousness," Al observed, "any more Grade 3 or 4 concussions and you're definitely going to have Will in a panic."
"Adam said he doesn't know what went down," the headache riddled Detective frowned, it had been a specific request he had made as soon as the brain fog had cleared in the hospital.
"He doesn't but Rhodes will want to check on you before he heads back. He's going to ask questions. Those glasses can't hide the fact you're hurt Kid."
"Firstly I told Conor not to contact me in person again and secondly I've told you before not to call me 'Kid'. I know I'm not as long in the tooth as you are but I'm not wet hehind the ears either."
"Rhodes saw the news so he's going to want to see for himself you're still standing," Al explained seriously before tilting his head and eyeing his companion, "and you come to me when you're feeling better and tell me I'm long in the tooth. I'll happily put you straight."
"Sure old man. Whatever you say."

Al shook his head fondly. The other man was definitely going through hell but he was not going to take his frustrations out on anyone else. The older man thanked a God he no longer believed in he could call this amazing young man a friend.

---------------------------

Break Room

Three hours later after the main team briefing had been completed Jay sought his Sergeant out.

"What's up?" Voight turned to look at the newcomer in the quiet room as he finished stirring his coffee.
"Sarge about what you said earlier," Jay began as soon as he closed the door, "about home advantage. Were you serious?"
"Take a seat," Voight instructed as he sat down at one of the small round tables and waited for the other man to comply, "it's a definite option. We're aware Wells wanted you back in Chicago ......,"
"That's the thing Sarge. We're guessing that's what he wanted. Since Bensons' death that seems to have been put aside though."
"Like I said before Kid we make decisions based on what information is to hand at any given time. We stack up the likelihood of what a perp will do and act accordingly. You don't need me to tell you that. You've been a Cop long enough to know the way things work," Voight looked across at the younger man hating the strain he was under and wishing he could ease things for him, "tell me something. Do you have any idea why things have become more personal for Wells? He's clearly escalating his ...... vendetta ..... for want of a better word ..... against you."
"Honestly Sarge I don't have any idea. I mean it's obvious this is more than just anger at losing what he viewed as a cushy job with Petrocelli," Jay shrugged in defeat before acknowledging an uncomfortable truth, "and his actions, especially lately, scream personal but I don't know him, or them .... at least ..... I don't think I do."
"Halstead I'm not doubting you. I know you're being honest," the older man assured to allay any worries in that regard, "I haven't made any final decision yet about going home ...,"
"Sarge ... I can't go back to Chicago if ye go .... I can't put Will or anyone else at risk again," the pale man finally disclosed his greatest fear, "I won't be responsible for Will or anyone I know getting hurt. I disrupted everyones' lives when .... well you know ........ when we were dealing with .... the old man. I'm not going to do that again."
"You didn't disrupt anyones' lives," Voight pushed his empty mug aside and leant his arms on the table between them to ensure he had the younger mans' full attention, "that was on your old man and only him. I am concerned about what this is doing to you but when I decide it's time to head home it will be because it will aid the investigation and get it closed sooner rather than later. I have to consider the overall picture."
"Okay Sarge," Jay accepted the other mans' candour.

For his part Voight hadn't lied but for him the main picture would always have Jay in the foreground ......

tbc