"All right there, mother's boy. There's the door, on you go. We're looking.." Arthur tried to tell the boy to leave, but was silent as Tommy raised his hand to stop him.

"Have you ever been arrested?" He asked.

"Yeah."

"Yeah?"

"No." The Digbeth Kid lost his confidence and shook his head.

"Good. You're the first bloke we've had in here today with no criminal record. Arthur, we can stand him up. Do you know what that means?" Tommy asked. The Digbeth Kid shook his head. "The new home secretary wants something done about illegal gambling."

"Damn right!" John hit the table.

"About bloody time." Arthur pointed, sarcastically.

"So we help our coppers make their quota of convictions by having men stood up to be arrested. First offense you'll get a week inside. We'll give you five quid for your trouble. How does that sound, cowboy?" Tommy finished.

"Yeah." The Digbeth Kid nodded excitedly.

"Good. Write your address down for Finn on your way out." Tommy waved him off, reaching for his newspaper that was discarded on the table.

"I can't write." The boy said, sheepishly.

"That's all right, darling. Finn can't read." Zara smiled at the young boy.

"Don't worry." Arthur chuckled.

"Just tell him your address and we'll send someone round." Tommy interrupted.

"If..." John pointed to the Digbeth Kid, "the sheriff don't run you out of town first." John and Arthur broke out into laughter as the poor boy left the room.

"Oh, I don't know, Tom. Kids these days..." Arthur started reading his paper again.

"They didn't fight, so they're different. They stay kids." Tommy responded.

Zara's breath hitched, she needed to get out of there. "Excuse me boys, but I should be going." She practically ran from the snug, slamming the door behind her.

John stared at Tommy, who made no move to go after his girlfriend. "What was that all about?"

"I have no idea, John-boy." Tommy shrugged.

John narrowed his eyes in suspicion. "What did you do?"

Tommy put his paper down and glared at his brother. "For once, I actually don't know." He ran his hand over his face in sheer frustration. "She won't talk to me, she sleeps in her office now, and she hasn't eaten."

"Have you asked Polly? Zara tells her everything." Arthur suggested.

"Polly still won't talk to either of us. And besides, Polly wasn't there last night when James and Theo came. Zara was completely fine before she went outside with them." Tommy shook his head.

"Why don't you ask James then?" John added, trying to conceal his worries.

Tommy nodded. "Fuck." He said, jumping up and hastily grabbing his coat, running out of the Garrison in search of his girlfriend.

♔♔♔♔

Zara had almost made it home when she heard someone call out behind her. She quickened her pace, having a feeling it was Tommy, but stopped when he caught up to her. Tommy jumped in front of her, blocking all routes for Zara to escape.

"Zara, love, what's going on?" Tommy said desperately, holding onto his girlfriend's arms so she couldn't run away.

"Let me go, Thomas. Now." Zara struggled, trying to free herself from his grip but he held on tight.