Chapter 40

Shi Wuduan's arms were crossed as he frowned at Xia Duanfang.

Xia Duanfang said, "Can't you tell? The vital essence in this man's organs, even his bones, has been sucked dry. Yet this empty bag of skin isn't damaged in the least. His three souls and seven spirits have all utterly and completely vanished; eaten as well, I presume. It obviously wasn't malevolent ghosts, and it definitely wasn't yao."

Shi Wuduan didn't reply as he waited for Xia Duanfang to continue, "I don't know if you've noticed, but all those who died, regardless of age, were male. According to the ancient texts passed down by my sect's ancestors, it's because womens' yin nature conflicts with that of demons'."  

After a long pause, Shi Wuduan said, "You're saying all this...."

Xia Duanfang knew what he was going to say next, so he interrupted, "I know you want to say you don't believe Bai Li did it, and I know that you and he are friends, but killing humans and devouring their souls is in a demon's very nature. It's been a year and a half already since he came to Guji. You know, it's almost admirable that he managed to resist this long before doing anything."

"I'm not making judgments based on my emotions," Shi Wuduan glanced at the corpse. Leaning against the wall, he said, "In terms of bloodline, he's not a pure demon. As far as I know, he's at least half fox; he shouldn't be losing control of his instincts. Besides, I know what kind of person he is. He's always been proud and arrogant, and he's only worse now that he's older; he practically looks down on everyone. The way I see it, he'd sooner die than be controlled by his instincts."

Xia Duanfang frowned at his words. Even though he looked boorish, he was in truth very boorish. Still, he'd been raised in a right and proper sect and had learned since youth about what the great Dao is, etc., etc. He held an innate revulsion to everything "dark and evil and demonic." He was repulsed by Bai Li the same way girls were repulsed by rats. It was a deep-seated feeling he had no control over.

However, on account of Shi Wuduan, he hadn't said anything.

"Don't act rashly and alert the enemy," Shi Wuduan pondered, "I'll make sure the army barracks shore up their defenses. I'll leave the situation in the city to you."

Xia Duanfang made a sound of assent. Shi Wuduan was about to leave, before seemingly remembering something. He suddenly stopped; his eyes roamed about as if he was lost in thought. The look in his eyes instantly gave Xia Duanfang goosebumps. He had the suspicion that somebody was about to have a bad time.

As expected, it didn't take long before Shi Wuduan said, "You know.... I suddenly think that this matter...."

He grinned, "These last few years, we've only concerned ourselves with guarding our little corner of the land, resulting in the incursion of demons into Haining and the disruption of civilian lives. It truly is shameful. But the enemy is in the dark, and we are in the light, so why not... invite as many Daoists as possible, in order to vanquish them. Sect Leader Xia, what do you think?"

Xia Duanfang looked like he'd eaten a fly; he eyed Shi Wuduan warily, thinking back on how he'd been conned back then. He couldn't help asking, "What're you up to this time?"

What am I up to? Gathering allies, building walls, and storing rations, of course. Once the soldiers are strong and the horses hardy, it will be time to contend for the throne and fix this broken, worn-out land. For this, there's nothing I wouldn't do.