Chapter 5

Elizabeth's blue eyes gazed nervously down at her Movado Vivo watch. The minutes seemed to tic by like hours. She pulled a compact mirror out of her purse and checked her minimal make up and then her hair, which was pinned up in an edgy fanned updo, for what seemed like the millionth time. She looked towards the entrance of the cozy restaurant as she sat at the bar waiting for the other half of her party to arrive.

She peered down at the white Prada V neck Jersey dress she was wearing. It wasn't necessarily office wear, but when she woke that morning she wanted something that was simple yet stunning and jaw dropping.

As Charlie walked into the establishment that was exactly the effect it had on her before Elizabeth noticed her. She quickly composed herself as she observed the other woman who looked like an angel in her eyes. She adjusted the tie of the custom tailored black Giorgio Armani pinstriped suit she wore.

"You look amazing." Charlie complimented as she approached the bar where Elizabeth was anxiously peering at her watch again.

Her head lifted and a tightness she hadn't been aware of eased in her chest as a bright smile spread across her lips. Her eyes taking in every inch of Charlie's frame as she stood before her looking very dapper in a wool three button suit. "You look good yourself." Her bosom expanded as she took deep breaths trying to control her suddenly racing heart.

For a moment the two simply stared at each other before Elizabeth snapped to attention as a waitress passed them. "I guess we should get a table, huh?" she laughed nervously.

"After you." Charlie held an arm out indicating Elizabeth to take the lead. As the hostess guided them to their table, Charlie's eyes were glued to the hypnotizing sway of Elizabeth's hips.

They accepted their menus as they took their seats. "I just wanted to tell you again, how beautiful you look." Charlie commented again.

Elizabeth blushed and dipped her head as she tried to hide it. "Thank you."

"Can I ask you a question though?"

"Sure."

"Why don't you ever wear your hair down?"

Elizabeth shrugged. "I was raised to believe it wasn't lady like to wear your hair down in mixed company. My mother also insists that it makes me look more immature, unattractive, young, unprofessional ..." She paused as she perused the menu, eyeing the ajwan marinated lamb kebabs to start off.

"You've got to be kidding me. Your mother must be blind to think any of that applies to you."

"You don't know my mother. She's always been so overbearing and controlling. My father's no better either. I can understand where they're coming from though. Its hard these days and they're just trying to insure that my sister and I are well off once they're gone."

"It sounds to me like you're making a bunch of excuses for letting your parents control your life."

"They do not control me." Elizabeth stated, becoming offended. "They're giving me the guidance that they didn't have growing up."

"That's the operative word there, growing up. You're a full grown woman now. I can understand them laying down tracks for you to follow, but what happens if you decide to make a few tracks of your own?" Charlie set down her menu and looked at her. Elizabeth opened her mouth to protest, but couldn't think of anything to say. "Have you ever been allowed to do anything your way? Even just once? I bet your parents are so anal that growing up you couldn't even play in your room with out fear of getting in trouble for putting back one toy out of place."

"Maybe my life isn't perfect, but I've been given more than most." Elizabeth countered.

"And I'm sure it's been drilled into your head everyday just how grateful you should be." Charlie shook her head as the expression on Elizabeth's face gave her answer away. "That's just another form of manipulation. Of course you're going to be grateful when you see all of the harsh realities of the other side of life, but to use that to control a child is just wrong."