Chapter 1

Voices joined with the sounds of utensils meeting plates and cups clunking to tabletops or clinking on teeth as the large group of women gathered for one of their traditional luncheons. Charlie listened as two of her close friends were caught in a heated conversation that should have been saved for somewhere a bit more private. Part of her couldn't wait for this day to be over.

"You're being petty." Charlie's friend, Gwendolyn stated as she dropped her fork in her Barbara Barry salad bowl, the utensil clanking loudly. She flipped her cherry red locks over her shoulder and glowered at her friend across the table.

"You knew I liked her and yet you fucked her anyway. How is that being petty?" Kelly asked in response.

"Okay, we are not going to spend our entire lunch with you two going back and forth over this shit. Gwen, you were wrong, period. Kelly, you never told Alice you had feelings for her so you can't be mad that Gwen slept with her." Charlie stated as their waiter came to clear the table of their appetizers and bring out the main course.

Kelly crossed her arms over her ample chest and rolled her eyes at Gwendolyn. "That doesn't make it right! She calls herself my friend and yet she's sitting over there like nothing happened."

"I said I was sorry!" Gwendolyn threw up her hands. "What more do you want from me?"

"I wanted you to say no, not sorry after the fact, you bitch." The remaining four of the group of seven sat back and let Charlie referee. This was their usual lunch gathering at Gene and Georgetti's on North Franklin Street in the windy city of Chicago and as always, there was drama.

"You knew she was going to be here today. If you didn't want to see her, you could have stayed home." Charlie interjected as the waiter placed her broiled salmon in front of her.

"She was the one who did something wrong. Why should I be the one hiding in shame?!" Kelly shook her head in disgust and ran her fingers through her short pixie cut blonde hair.

"Oh god. A little help here?!" Charlie ran her own slender hand over her head and down her shoulder length jet black ponytail.

"Uh-uh, I'm staying out of this one." Max, Charlie's best friend stated as she began digging into her food. If it weren't for her large breast, Max could almost pass for a man with her short, cropped hair cut, thick neck and massive shoulders and arms.

"You two have been friends since junior high. Are you really gonna let some chick come between that?" she asked. She looked over towards the back of the restaurant as she spotted an older lady being seated. The lady joined two younger women, giving them air kisses as she greeted them. The conversation faded to background noise as she observed the blonde in a peach and cream Donna Karan drape dress with a deep V neckline and thin shoulder straps. The ruched bust and empire waist showed off her curvaceous figure even as she sat. Her golden hair was piled high on her head in a neat nest of curls, not a strand out of place.

"Earth to Charlie!" Candice snapped her dainty fingers in front of Charlie's face causing her to jump.

"What?" She turned with a lost look that made them laugh at her.

"Sweetie, we've been trying to get your attention for almost five full minutes." Candice laughed.

"That's cause she's all up in miss thing over there." Max pointed out. "Can't say that I blame you. She's hot." Max winked at her. Candice scowled and hit Max on the arm. "I didn't say she was hotter than you baby." She leaned over and gave her partner a quick smooch and returned to her food.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"How's work dear?" Josephine asked her youngest daughter as she browsed the menu.