Chapter 10

Elizabeth listened to Charlie's messages for the umpteenth time as she sat as her vanity dresser preparing for her evening. She looked exquisite in a silk Organza gown by Marchesa with golden embroidery on the bodice and waist. The strapless sweetheart neck line accentuated her ample bosom; the skirt hung in a beautiful accordion-pleat that flowed easily as she walked giving the impression that she was floating. Her hair was done in a French Braid front accent. Her make-up was done flawlessly.

She looked perfect. Looks were deceiving. She felt miserable and had ever since she'd run away from Charlie that night almost two months ago. She knew then that she'd fallen for Charlie, but she also knew that they could never be together. They came from two completely different backgrounds, with different parents who had different standards. She looked at herself in the mirror hoping that no one else would see the pain she was in.

She didn't want to go to this stupid dinner and be paraded around on John arm. She didn't want to fake happiness, amusement, charm, interest. She just wanted to crawl back into her bed and not face the world. The funk she felt herself in before had grown into full blown depression. Nothing cheered her up anymore. She wasn't hiding it from her family and John as well as she thought she was.

The only thing that offered her any solace was the organization she was working to establish. Amy's parent's had appeared on the news a few days after her successful surgery gushing about their guardian angel. Elizabeth had gone from "The Ice Queen" to the media 'it' girl overnight and John's popularity soared through the roof. Her father set up all sorts of press conferences and photo opts with Elizabeth, John, Amy and her family. Elizabeth hated every minute of it. She didn't do what she did for the lime light or for John's career, but she tried to look on the bright side.

At least this was bringing attention to the business she was trying get off the ground that was still unnamed at this point. Her attorney managed to help her get a lot of the paper work out of the way. She exited her voicemail, not deleting her saved messages from Charlie.

Thunder roared in the distance adding to Elizabeth's already dreary mood. She forced herself to stand and gather her things. She wrapped herself in a thick white suede cape with gold lining and grabbed her purse. Just as she suspected, John just stepped into her foyer and was closing a large black umbrella.

"You look fabulous." He greeted her with a quick peck on the cheek. "Ready to go?" Elizabeth nodded. He led her outside, under the safety of his umbrella, to a black stretch limo. The driver opened the door, holding it for them as they climbed inside.

They made a grand entrance as they arrived at a large cathedral styled hall with bright lights, high ceilings and beautiful music wafting in the background while photographers snapped away. There were smiling faces everywhere and every time John turned around he was shaking someone's hand. Elizabeth put on her best face, laughed when others laughed, spoke when she was spoken to, but she wasn't really there.

Her mind kept drifting to thoughts of Charlie. She wondered what she was doing or who she was doing. She forced herself back to surroundings as she heard John address her father hours after their arrival.

"Senator!" John bellowed as he clasped the other man's hand and gave it a firm shake. Although her father retired almost six years prior, people still addressed him with the title. He still held a lot of political influence and maintained friends in high places. John readily accepted him as his mentor years ago.

"There are so many people here; I didn't think we'd get a chance to catch up." Adam Montgomery stated as he kissed his daughter on the cheek much the way John greeted her earlier.

"Hello Father." She offered a meek smile, praying her mother got lost somewhere.

"Honey, if you'll excuse us for a moment. I have some ideas I want to run past your old man." John stated before he led her father off through the crowd with a hand on his shoulder.