Prologue

She watched from the shadows as her brother ran for shelter, blood oozing from his shoulder as he desperately tried to stop the bleeding.

His usually tidy honey brown hair was disheveled, blood was smeared on his tanned cheeks and his perfect brown suit was splattered in the crimson liquid. His loosened tie was flying in the air as he ran, panting and gasping for air.

His face showed a mix of emotions: pain, regret, relief and an overwhelming sadness.

Pain, because he was wounded; regret, for all that he had done; relief, because the pressure he put on himself was finally lifted and sad, because he knew that this was the end for him.

She saw his eyes take on a faraway look as he remembered who he was before he found the book that ruined his life.

Memories flashed past his eyes. How he was constantly studying, achieving top scores, had a loving family and a strong sense of justice.

A honey brown haired boy walking on this path when the sun was setting, with a book in his hand, his light brown eyes filled with innocence and boredom.

A boy who wasn't doomed to become a serial killer. A boy who treasured his family above all else. A boy who aspired to become a police officer just like his father, upholding justice and saving innocent lives. A boy who had everything and had the potential to be a detective as brilliant as the world's most elusive and greatest detective.

He slowly walked inside the nearby building, his breath coming in gasps as he staggered on to the staircase and climbed it halfway before laying down on it.

She saw his chest spasm as his pupils widened in shock and realized that he was going to die there.

Not wanting to let her brother die alone, she came out of the dark and walked to him.

His tired brown eyes widened as he opened his mouth to speak.

Sitting down beside him, she placed her finger on his lips, silently telling him not to talk and waste his remaining energy.

Unbidden tears came to her eyes as she stroked his soft hair, remembering the boy who had supported her through everything till he found that damned notebook.

Noticing his attention diverted from her, she turned her head in the direction he was looking and gasped.

Standing at the bottom of the stairs was the man she treated as a surrogate brother and the one man her brother ever loved.

His depthless black eyes were hidden under his messy, raven black hair.

He was staring at the two with a small smile grazing his lips and his hands in his pockets.

Seeing him sent the tears pooled in her eyes cascading down her face like a waterfall as she smiled.

It looked like he had been waiting for her brother to join him ever since he died.

Even though his eyes were not visible, she saw that he was there to take the one man who challenged, outsmarted and attracted him all at once.

She watched her brothers' silent exchange of apologies and declarations of love as they gazed at each other.

Her brother gave her a genuine smile, the smile he used to give her before he got involved with the Notebook, as his eyes fluttered close and his life force ebbed away.

She saw his spirit manifest itself above his body and smile at her.

Fresh tears leaked out of her light brown eyes as she spoke to her surrogate brother, "Take care of him, L."

She then whispered to her biological brother, "I forgive you, Light. Remember that, whatever you did, I have always loved you."

Light hugged his twin sister tightly as she cried on his shoulder. He then pulled away from their embrace and wiped her tears, "Don't cry for me, Kana. I know that I had this coming. Smile for me instead."

L walked over to them and embraced her as well. She held onto him tightly before pulling away.

Her two brothers stepped back and warmly smiled at her as she swallowed the lump in her throat and shakily bid them farewell.

She felt as if a huge burden was lifted from her heart as a cool breeze blew by, taking her brothers along to the after world or perhaps their next life.

Hey guys! I wrote a 3-part Death Note fanfic before which was sort of like a recollection of Lawlight scenes from the anime with my own twist at the end. But this one is a fanfic where they are reincarnated and....you can imagine the rest. Anyway, I hope you like it. Pls vote and comment! Any constructive criticism is welcome.