𝔻𝕒𝕪 - 𝟞𝟘

-Kaydan's P.O.V-
"Luke," I groan louder, "get off of the floor!"
"It's coldness reminds me of Kyle's heart when he's mad," he wines pressing his face harder against it and curling up into a ball.
"For fucks sake!" I use my foot and push him onto his back. "Lucas, look at me."
He shakes his head.
"Lucas John Matthews."
Seconds crawl by, but he slowly looks at me, complying with his better judgment.
"What would Kyle say if he saw you like this?"
He continues to stare at me in silence.
"Issue?"
"It's just...I mean...You-" he exhales deeply, "- when you scowl like that, you kinda look like him."
I frown deeply. "I. Am not. Kyle," I say solemnly.
"I know but...Do you know any French?" He questions softly.
"You are unbelievable!" I shout.
"He kinda sounds like Kaleb though," Jasper speaks up form the kitchen counter.
I turn in his direction and see that he still hasn't moved. "So now you're alive?" I scream, anger getting the best of me.
"I'm not permitted to die. Kaleb said so," he mutters.
"Hey Kyle," Luke pulls on my pant leg, "I'm-"
I snatch my leg out of his grip. "We aren't starting this."
"But I-"
"Call him!"
"Their plane hasn't landed," Jasper adds. "Jasper!" I shout.
"Kaleb," he whispers a retort.
I glare at his back then look down to Luke groveling. "I feel that it is unsafe for me to stay here," I breathe. I walk over towards the front door. "I will come back when my shift is over. You should've been able to call them by then, so hopefully all hope isn't completely lost yet." I open the door and step outside. "I swear to god if you guys don't show up to work tomorrow, I won't be as forgiving." I close the door and lock it then head for my car. I start it up and grip my steering wheel tightly.
This is gunna be a shit storm.
I sigh as I park my car in the parking lot. I get out and enter the front doors of Wayne's and stop abruptly.
Kenneth is sitting on a bench in the waiting area. He stands the second he sees me and says, "Kaydan, how are you?"
I smile weakly. "Fine, just slightly...worried I guess."
Sarah steps out from behind the podium. "How is he?"
I shake my head. "He's not feeling too well," I answer.
"I tried to call Jasper to-"
I hold a hand up to silence her. "We are gunna have to do this without them today."
She bites her lip. "That bad?"
I nod once.
"Um," Kenneth interjects, "I have a question if you don't mind."
I return my attention to him. "Yeah, sure. Can you go to the back while I set up? I'll meet you there."
He nods and makes his way.
Once he's fully gone from sight I head to
the kitchen. "Listen up guys," I boom drawing most of the workers' attentions, "Lucas isn't here today, so I'm taking over. If there are any questions or issues, come directly to me, got it?"
I get head nods in response. To my right I hear a whistle and turn to it.
David rubs his hands together, "Mr. Green. It has a nice ring."
"I'd rather not be associated with the Green family right now," I sigh.
"Kyle or Kaleb?"
"All of them," I answer instantly.
"Okay then," David smirks taking steps back to the sink. "Are you sure you can handle this?"
I search my head for any drawbacks. As I do so, I scan the kitchen and watch all of the workers attending their station. "I'm pretty sure."
"Cool," David smiles. "Today is inventory."
I squint my eyes at him. "Excuse me?"
"We gotta know what we've used, what we still have, and what we need."
I hold my hands up toward him. "Oh, I've never done that before! Can't I just appoint someone else to do it?"
"Everyone else already has something to do, and Luke and I always do this together. We were suppose to do it before we opened, but now we're behind."
"Kaydan," one of the waiters on duty peeks in the back, "What's the special today?"
"Uh...Potatoes?" I try.
"We don't have enough potatoes for that to be the special," David cuts in. "Besides, potatoes aren't one of our main dishes here, and
they were a side for the special yesterday."
"Right," I say defeated.
"Luke usually keeps a chart in a folder at his desk with the specials, then hangs it in the back for everyone to see."
"On it," I head for Luke's office and am stopped short again by one of the staff.
"What's the soup today?"
I look at David.
He shrugs and says, "Luke usually bases it off of the supplies we have in the back."
"Easy, "We're out of soup today. My deepest apologies"," I smile returning to my previous task.
"I'll be amazed if we make any kind of profit today," David mumbles.
"Then prepare to be astounded," I shout turning into Luke's office. His desk is facing the wall to my left, and I jump in front of the chair positioned behind it. I open both the drawers on the sides and finally find the purple folder at the bottom of the piles of paper. I flip it open to today's date and run my finger underneath it. "Lamb."
-Christian's P.O.V-
"H-How have you not d-died yet?" Simon laughs as he places the cover back onto my air vent.
"I'm extremely lucky I guess," I answer steadying the ladder as best as I can. "Can you please get down now?"
"A-Afraid I'll fall?" He questions looking down at me.
"Yes," I don't hesitate.
He opens his mouth to make a retort, then quickly decides to look away from me instead. He starts making his way down the ladder at a quickened pace.
"Could you be more careful?" I complain.
He staggers as he stops, and begins to proceed down the ladder at a slower rate.
"Thank you," I smile when he makes it to the ground.
"You're s-such a wuss," he hits my chest with an open palm.
"Excuse me for not being a fan of heights."
He pauses then looks back at me. "B-But they're an a-amazing band!"
"You are so funny," I close the ladder and slide it down before walking over to my closet to put it up. When I get there I turn on the light, which comes to life thanks to the second chance Simon gave it.
Simon had also changed out my water filter, cleaned my floors, organized my fridge, and fixed my garbage disposal.
I close the closet door and peek at my phone. It is now 2:56, and I don't have any texts from Kaydan
He must be pretty busy.
I head back for the living room and hear some music playing. It is pretty heavy, but the volume isn't up too loud. I enter the area and see Simon laying on the sofa with his feet over the arm.
"What is that?" I ask walking closer to him.
"The Heights," he answers simply.
"You think you're funny, don't you?"
He nods his head. "W-Well, I'd like to th-think so."
I bend over and pinch his nose. "You aren't."
He reaches up and pinches mine in return. "H-How about a th-thank you for the guy wh-who helped you?"
I release his nose and slap his hand away. "I'll make you lunch and let you use my shower, but that's the closest you're getting."
"I d-don't have clothes," he calls as I enter my kitchen.
"Borrow mine," I open the fridge and pull out cheese, bacon, and chicken.
He peeks around the corner and looks at me. "You're s-sure you don't mind?"
"If you keep distracting me, I won't make enough for both of us."
"O-Okay, okay," he makes a hasty exit and travels up the stairs.
I release a sigh and continue my work in the kitchen. It wouldn't be fair for him to do all the work. I place a pot on the stove and crank up the heat.
As I am chopping the bacon into smaller pieces, Simon enters to my right. I look over my shoulder and see he decided on my The Rocket Summer muscle shirt, and gray shorts. Both barely fit him.
"H-How do I look?" He poses and I return to my task at hand.
"Like you're trying too hard," I snicker.
"Hey!" He walks over and joins me at the counter. "Wh-What are you making a-anyway?"
"Spicy pasta with chicken, bacon, and peas," I answer.
"Sounds good!"
"And if you want it to be, you'll go into the living room and watch TV until I'm done."
He puffs his cheeks out and does as he's told.
I wipe the sweat off my brow and continue my work. I hear "Lilo and Stitch" turn on and recognize that Lilo was being yelled at for being late, so it was just starting. I add the bacon to the mix and stir the pot one last time before turning everything off. I grab two bowls and cups and divvy up the pasta, and put water in the cups before carrying it out to the living room.
Simon placed a Calculus textbook on the table in front of him.
I stare at him.
"We st-still have homework to do," he says taking his bowl and cup from me. "This looks d- delicious by the w-way."
"Are you kidding me? About the homework," I specify before he is able to say anything snarky.
He shakes his head. "If I have t-to suffer, so do y-you."
I sit on the ground to his right and place my bowl and cup on the table. "I'm not starting till I finish eating," I huff.
"N-Neither am I. I w-wish I could n-nap though. Doing all th-that maintenance was h-hard work."
"How did you know how to do all of that anyway?"
"M-My older brother usually d-does the house work, and h-he needs help from t-time to time."
I slowly nod as he takes a bite of the food.
He coughs a couple of times and fans at his mouth, desperately grabbing for the water. He takes a few gulps and stares at me teary-eyed.
"I said it was spicy," I blow on it and eat some myself. "I should've added more crushed red pepper."
"A-Are y-you i-insane?"
"I like spice," I retort with a grin. "I can make you something else if this is too much for-"
He coughs to silence me and consumes a large spoonful. "I-It tastes a-amazing."
I watch him carefully and shift to the right. "You really don't have to eat it if it's too hot though. I can make you something else."
He shakes his head. "I-It's too good t-to stop e-eating," he finishes after choking on some water.
I smile down at my bowl. "If you say so...idiot."
"D-Does Kaydan know y-you can cook?"
"I've made him a grilled cheese sandwich," I poke at the pasta.
"S-So he hasn't had th-th pleasure of e- eating your food?"
"I guess not."
"W-Wow, I feel special," he laughs.
"Don't."
He only grins wider. "Wh-What ever you s- say, Chris."