XXXVI

I chose one of the second story bedrooms with a balcony overlooking the beach, and Dego chose the other, just across the hall.

I was so tired that first night that I went to bed right when I got to my room, and slept until 9:00 in the morning.

It felt so good not to wake up early for once.

For the next two days Dego and I divided our time between walking on the beach, tanning, soaking up the waves and the sun, and going out to eat. In the evening we would settle into the hot tub and turn on the TV, relaxing in companionable silence.

Somehow there wasn't much awkwardness after the first morning, and we slipped back into our old way of dealing with each other, he trying not to push me, but doing it anyway in small, teasing ways, and I trying to enjoy his company, as I truly did, without giving him the wrong idea. It was a bit like dancing, or tag, he moved forward, I moved back, always trying to stay one step ahead of him without giving him the impression that I was doing so.

We had good talks in the evenings, and became rather close. I was becoming more and more fond of him, but had to be careful not to let him realize this too much. I don't know if he thought I was more immune to him than I actually was, but the truth was, although I was not attracted to him in a romantic way, some of the things he did still caused me to react in a physical way.

The way he walked around with his shirt unbuttoned all day was more teasing than if he had worn none at all, and little things like the way he would lean across me to grab something off the counter, or stand behind me while I showed him something on my phone still aroused me in an annoying, purely physical way.

Too many times I almost let myself give into the urge to kiss him, to cradle his face and touch him, but I would reign my feelings in and remind myself not to do it, knowing that it would cause more damage then I wanted to be responsible for.

I decided that some people are too attractive for their own good. It upset me to realize that I was capable of being so sexually attracted to someone while having zero feelings for them, but I knew that I couldn't allow myself to react how I wanted to in these moments of weakness because I would surely regret it later.

So Dego flirted with me and I tried not to flirt back, but I couldn't help myself sometimes, and I had to navigate the dangerous waters I had stirred up.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

We decided to go visit my Dad on a Saturday, and Dego would leave me there for the rest of the weekend while he attended to business in Jacksonville.

Saturday morning, we went out for coffee and breakfast and visited a few shops along the boardwalk. I found a beautiful sleek black evening gown that I knew I would rarely find an occasion to wear, but I decided to buy it anyway because I liked it so much. Dego tried to buy it for me but I insisted it was fine, to which he finally conceded by throwing his hands in the air and shaking his head.

"You've done enough for me already Dego, and I appreciate it, so I won't let you do any more," I said with a smile and a pat on his shoulder.

"Whatever, you're all turning into these strong independent women so I shouldn't have tried," he complained in mock defeat.

I laughed at him and took the bag with my dress in it.

"We'd better get moving now, it's about an hour drive."

"Whatever boss bitch," he said, hands in his back pockets as he followed me out the door.

"Oh, shut up and drive," I said, throwing him the keys.

We listened to music almost the whole way, our tastes quite similar fortunately.

"I don't know a lot of people your age who listen to this old rock," he said.

"Me either," I said, laughing," But I don't know very many people my age, to be fair. I'm a closeted boomer I guess."

"Listen, I don't know how old you think I am, but I am definitely not a boomer," he glared.

"Okay boomer," I patted his shoulder.

The closer we got to home the more excited I became, I was beginning to recognize more and more little things I'd forgotten about, and a nostalgic feeling stole over me and filled me with memories.

Finally, we pulled onto my road, and a lump formed in my throat. This is what I'd wanted to come back to for two years, this.

I saw the big oak tree with the tire swing in my front yard, and the house, and there was my dad, walking back from the mailbox.

"This is it, right there," I pointed excitedly, and Dego turned into the driveway.

He stopped before we reached my him and I jumped out, running to meet his as he turned around to see who was pulling up.

He grinned and hugged me back when I wrapped my arms around his middle, a few tears welling up in my eyes.

I don't remember what I said or what he said, but it felt good to be home.

He waved Dego on up to the house, and we walked up the driveway.

"So who did you say this guy was again?" He asked, quirking an eyebrow.

"He's the owner of the restaurant I work for, and his family comes to Florida all the time so he just flew with me, and since I'm not old enough to rent a car he has been nice enough to drive me here," I explained.

"Ahh. Well I would have picked you up."

"I know, but it worked out fine," I said, leaving most of the story out for the moment.

I wasn't going to pull up to the house after not seeing my dad for two years and tell him the thirty nine year old man I was with wanted to date his daughter.

"Alright, is he planning on staying too...?"

"No, he's just dropping me off, he has something to do in Jacksonville."

"Ah okay."

"He'll be back tonight and I thought maybe I'd take him to RJ's before he heads back to the house he's renting."

"Ah he would like that, you should," my dad agreed. He was a big fan of RJ's, the local bar and grill.

"Yeah, I'm gonna stay until Monday night though, and he'll come get me then because we have to leave from Orlando Tuesday Morning."

"Ahh okay. Sounds good."

Dego had my suitcase unloaded and placed on the front porch when we walked up.

Dego introduced himself and talked for a few minutes, gave me a brief side hug, and then left. He remained fairly businesslike and I was glad of it, not wanting my dad to think we had anything other than a mildly friendly relationship.

I glanced over at Weston's house for the first time as I was walking up the porch steps, and felt my stomach drop. It looked the same as it always had, and his red jacked up truck was parked in the driveway as it usually was Saturday mornings. I took a deep breath, clenched my shaking hands, realized I'd stopped breathing completely, and forced myself to look away and go inside.