Chapter - 29

"How is she?" Sanskar asked with unsurety.

They both were sitting in front of doctor. The moment they entered inside hospital after having brief look at unconscious Granny from ICCU's glass door, they visited her doctor.

"Mrs. Maheshwari is slipping in brain dead situation. She will be on and off from coma for now but slowly and steadily her every organ will stop functioning." He carefully worded.

Swara held Sanskar's hand in her's. His grip over their intertwined hands got tightened.

"How much time she has?" Sanskar gulped audibly.

"In this case, patient can stay for one day, one week or sometimes one month. But it's life on a machine. We would be keeping her on ventilator. It's painful for them."

Sanskar closed his eyes and tear dropped over his cheeks.

"Is there anything we can do doctor?" Swara asked helplessly. "Please."

"Looking at her age, she won't be able to take the treatment. I would suggest we should pray for her peaceful departure."

After long discussion with doctors, they came back to ICCU where Granny was sleeping.

Looking at her fragile figure attached with numerous medical equipment's gave scratch to their souls.

They sat there not moving their eyes from her face.

"Sanskar coffee" It was middle of the night when Swara brought coffee for both from hospital cafeteria.

From afternoon they have not eaten even a single morsel of food.

He nodded his head in denial not moving his eyes from Granny's face.

"Sanskar please." Swara sat beside him.

She forcefully passed coffee mug to him.

"Will she open her eyes to see to me at least once? Will she go without even talking to me?"

"Granny is listening to you. She is watching you now also."

"Granny please don't leave me." inner child of Sanskar begged.

Soon, it became morning, Nurses and doctors kept monitoring Granny's health every now and then.

Swara and Sanskar did not move from their places, nor they moved their eyes from the person, they loved the most.

Granny slightly moved her fingers which captured their eyes increasing their hopes.

"Granny" Sanskar moved near her.

"Granny can you hear us? We are here Granny."

"Open your eyes Granny. See it's me and Sanskar." Swara saw Granny's efforts to open her eyelids.

"Doctor, please come here. Looks like Granny is gaining consciousness." Sanskar called over intercom. His heart was filled with hope.

They both kept on calling her.

Doctors came and checked her.

"Mr. Maheshwari, this is expected. As I mentioned yesterday, she is on and off from coma."

"That means there is some chance for her to be ..." Swara became optimistic.

"I don't think so looking at her current reports." His words shattered their hopes once again.

Meanwhile, Granny briefly opened eyes with lot of efforts which brought bright grin on their faces.

With a slight blink of an eye, she asked them to come near her.