I furrow my eyebrows to match his expression. "What?"

Max just grins widely, leaning back in his seat and picking up another waffle. "Well, it all started with an electronic baby..."

*~*

I feel my dad's eyes burning into the back of my head as I bustle around the kitchen, making dinner for the night. Octavia had gone up to her room as soon as I got home from the O'Connell household.

"Are you going to say something, or are you just gonna wait for my head to explode?" I question, turning around to face him.

He raises an eyebrow at me from his seat at the island, dressed in his uniform and ready for his night shift. "Are we going to talk about how you wanted to kill your sister, or are you just going to sulk for the next week?"

"I didn't want to kill her." I snort. "If I wanted to kill her, she'd be dead."

He stares at me.

"You are a terrifying child." He mumbles to himself before straightening up and patting the seat next to him. I sigh loudly, walking over and flopping down on the stool dramatically. He rolls his eyes, a small smile on his lips. "Okay, whatever is going on with you and Tavi, I don't give a shit about."

I give him a blank look. "Gee, thank you, father dearest."

"Shut up. I know you'll make up in the next couple days." He rolls his eyes yet again. "What I do give a shit about, is whether or not Flynn is okay."

I bite my lip to hide the grin threatening to grow. "It's Flynn. He'll be fine."

"Are you sure?"

"One hundred and ten percent."

"Good." He nods. "The other thing I wanted to talk to you about—"

"There's more?!" I groan and he glares at me until I throw my arms up in surrender. "Apologies, my liege. Do continue."

Dad bites back his laugh and I grin at him.

"Octavia told me prom's coming up."

"I'm not going."

"I figured." His eyes soften as he looks at me. "I wanted to know if you were okay."

I shrug. "I don't know. I always imagined mum to be the one to get us ready for prom. Picking out the clothes, doing our hair, making us stand there and take a hundred-thousand photos."

"I know."

"And now she's gone."

"I know."

"I just—I always thought she'd be here." I pick at my fingernails. "I knew she was sick but I guess it didn't really sink in until she was actually gone."

"Yeah..." He whispers, sadly. "I know."

His hand covers mine to stop me picking at my nails. I throw my arms around him, hugging him tightly. "I love you, dad. And I don't say it enough."

"I love you, too, sweetheart." One of his hands come up to stroke my hair. "I love you and your sister more than anything."

I can't help the smug smirk that curls up on my lips.

"Why the hell are you smiling like that?"

"I knew you loved Flynn."

"I will disown you."

I just laugh and he lightly slaps the back of my head, a grin growing on his own face.

"Oh." We look over to see Octavia in the doorway of the kitchen. "I thought you'd left for work already."

"I was just leaving." Dad tells her, planting a kiss on my forehead before pulling away and smoothing my hair down. He walks over and hugs her tightly, kissing the top of her head. "I love you."

Octavia sends me a confused look over his shoulder but hugs him back nevertheless. "Love you, too, dad."

He ruffles her hair before walking away. We stand in silence after we hear the front door open and close.

I blow air into my cheeks and Octavia purses her lips, kicking at the floor awkwardly.

"Do you..." I trail off as she snaps her head up to look at me. "Do you want dinner? I made Chicken Alfredo."

"With bacon?"

"With bacon."

She smiles at me. "Please."

I gesture over to the stove. "Help yourself. I'm ain't your fucking slave."

She rolls her eyes and laughs slightly, grabbing a plate and making her way over to the stove. "Bitch."

"Asshat." I reply and we laugh. It's silent for a moment as she scoops out her food before I speak up. "You have an apology to make tomorrow."

"I know."