I leaned over the dashboard to engulf Knight in a massive hug. He might not have all the money in the world right now, but Cole Knight knew me. And honestly? The knowledge that I had stumbled upon a friend, tucked away in the streets near my home, and he had fallen so seamlessly into my life; that was a far better gift than any material thing he could get me.

"Oh, my god. Is that a spa?" I squealed, looking at the small pool of bubbling water that adorned the left half of the upstairs balcony. Okay, maybe the material aspects were nice too.

From the doorway of the house, Jace materialized. I smiled shyly at him, waving slightly. Knight snorted a laugh beside me. He was now in the stage where he found all interactions between Hartley and myself endlessly amusing.

I stepped out of the car. "Hi, Jace," I said. A few months ago, no one who organized a trip away for my birthday would have thought about inviting Jace. He had existed in the periphery of the group, and no one would consider his presence a part of any present to me. But now, things had irreversibly changed. I suspected that Knight had put him first on his list of people to invite.

"Lena," said Jace. "How was the drive?"

"Awful," I said, scowling at Knight. "I was stuck with speed racer. If he could, he would've thrown a red shell at the car in front of us."

Knight stuck his head out the window. "Yeah, I would. Because that would be awesome."

Jace shrugged at me. "I mean, it would be awesome."

Daria barreled out of the house at that moment, running up to me to envelop me in a tight hug. "Lena! Happy birthday!"

"Not my birthday," I said in a choked voice.

"The whole trip counts as your birthday," said Daria cheerfully. "I'm going to give you a cake for each day!"

I grinned. "Aye, aye, Captain."

Jace was already unloading the boot of the car, hiking my bag onto his shoulder and grabbing Knight's suitcase. He was so helpful. "Far out, Cole. Are you packing for a month-long camping safari?"

Knight grimaced. "No, but I had to take all of my things so that Lena's family didn't see them."

The weight of the bag, I could see, suddenly became far too light. Everything that Cole Knight owned could fit into a single suitcase; and he didn't even own that. I vowed to buy Knight something super big, so that his things weren't so transportable that his existence in my life could be wiped away, transferred, so easily. Maybe I would buy him a car, or, like, a trampoline. Or maybe just a really big box; like the box for a trampoline.

Jace carried my things and Knight's inside, Daria chattering away at his side, and I followed with my purse and pillow. In the living room, I was greeted by my friends. Cady and Alex had come down from the balcony, and Chance, Kaelin, Callie, Jonah—who was, as expected, asleep on the couch—and McKenna. They were all standing beneath a sign that read HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ELLY BELLY, (it appeared that it was too late to kep this information from Alex and Jonah, who were looking from me to the sign with pure delight)with Daria's first cake of the birthday weekend—a mound of chocolate frosting and strawberries that looked delicious—lit up in front of them.

"Happy birthday, cuz," said Kaelin, holding the cake out in front of her.

I blew out the candles as Alex cheered—"Oh, why was she born so beautiful, oh why was she born at all? She's no fucking use to anyone, she's no fucking use at all!"—as the others laughed and sang along. I grinned. That song was super weird, but it was tradition.

Jace placed a hand on my shoulder. "Happy birthday," he said quietly.

I grinned up at him. "Thanks, Jace."