23. Ocean

Clara Carter

I regret that I didn't tell him, 'You're the best' when he agreed to keep the pet. But he already knows how happy I am.

"Where's my lighter?" I grumble to myself, stuffing my hands into every pocket of the clothes I'm wearing from yesterday. Stefan let me borrow one of his black T-shirts. Technically, I took it directly from his wardrobe without asking permission, and the same is true for his cologne. Cologne isn't a great idea, but I'm also stuck with no other options.

A wicked smile spreads across my lips as I imagine people's reactions when they see me wearing his T-shirt and smelling exactly like him. I purposefully chose the T-shirt that he had worn once or twice on campus.

Someone is behind me, but before I can turn around, I feel a strong chest pressed against me.

"Here." Stefan's deep voice lingers in my ear. He lights the lighter for me in the style of a professional smoker.

As his rough pad of fingertips goes down from my shoulder to my arm, I stiffen once again.

"Are you planning on stealing all of my clothes one by one?"

"Tempting," I scoff. "Who knows, maybe I will."

He lets out a soft laugh. He lights the cigarette I'm holding between my lips.

"Do you smoke?" I ask, putting distance between us even though I know it's pointless.

One thing I've learned about him over time is that he hates it when I move away from his touch. That realization is confirmed by his throaty groan.

He doesn't waste any time in cornering me on the wall next to the door we're standing at. I let him do it. Have him in charge of the situation for the time being.

As he removes the cigarette from my lips, grey clouds escape from my mouth.

"Smoking's injurious to health," he whispers as if seducing the cigarette instead of me. His one hand is above my head, while the other is securely holding my cigarette.

Why did you light it in the first place if you didn't want me to smoke, you sexy idiot?

Even after spending the night in his bed, I can't stop my heart from racing anytime he comes this close.

His gaze lures to my lips. "But so are you." His hands curve around my face, the cigarette in his two fingers millimeters from burning my hair.

"What can I say? I'm irresistible."

Hearing him quietly laugh sends shivers up my spine, but the reddish-orange lit stick proudly standing between his long fingers isn't helping to calm me down.

"Just don't burn me." I express my current concern.

I can't even imagine how embarrassing my expression and position are. He moves forward, finally getting the cigarette away from my hair as he traps me between him and the wall.

"I can't do that," he says. His forehead resting against mine. "'Cause, you've already set my heart on fire."

My heartbeat quickens. A sudden chill travel through my body.

His lips are on mine in a passionate kiss, not giving me a chance to protest. He kisses me fiercely, slanting his wet mouth on mine, licking deeply, and I give in. When we're this close, my insides melt within a few seconds.

I'm squeezed up against the wall, his body grinding against me.

We pull away before things get too heated and we end up fucking the brains out instead of showing up for our respective classes.