28. The shock

Clara Carter

"Just speak up already!"

After everything, it's unexpected of me to raise my voice in front of this tough woman. But, with my curiosity killing me on the inside, I can't help but get the information out.

As I maintain a defensive distance from all three of these unpredictable people, her analytical eyes for Christopher's boring and lame room hastily move to me.

Her black leather jacket is now resting on the bed, displaying the kind of muscles I've always desired for. Her careless but keen stare narrows down on my face.

She reflects everything I wish to be. Confident, powerful, dangerous, beautiful, and vivacious.

She forces an ear-to-ear grin and advances toward me with her hand extended for a handshake after she is pleased with the long look she gives me.

She says, "Let's start with the formal introduction." Even if my instincts tell me to push her hand away, I forward the gesture of formality nonetheless.

"I'm Mae. Mae Peirce."

My blood freezes.

Peirce?

The only person who associates with this surname clears his throat.

"My sister."

"Elder sister, you toddler."

Stefan seemed both irritated and habituated to these sorts of arguments. As Mae continues to speak with me, he squints his eyes at her.

"I had no idea Carter's sister will be someone like you," Mae says. This is the first time she has ever mentioned me since her savage invasion into my house.

It's difficult to grasp the real meaning of her words. Was it meant as a compliment? Or a criticism? Or just an outright insult?

"What do you mean?" my pitch has gained levels after having ten percent of knowledge about this girl and that's enough for me to dare utter the arrogant tone as well.

"Oh, no, no." she scoffs, "I meant it in a good way. Carter, you know, is always talking about his family, particularly you. I assumed you were some show-off, pampered brat. . . but damn."

She casts her gaze on me in a fangirlish manner, which makes me nervous.

She's obviously mistaking my daily and infamous bicker's attire if she's referring to my red short wrap dress and black dangle earrings.

"How do you two know each other?" Stefan asks, his gaze shifting between Mae and Christopher.

My brother cracks a little smile as Mae sighs dramatically and pulls Christopher into a side hug. 

"Long story short, we met in Chicago, fell in love, and it's been impossible to un-love this nerdy since."

"Fell in what?"

Stefan's sarcastic and elevated shriek makes me jump on my feet. That tone of voice is familiar to me. Christopher has used it for me several times.