Chapter 7

Chapter

7

"Brotherly Love"

*Sherri*

When Cory said home, I was thinking somewhere nice. Here we were in a busted ass trailer and for some reason there was plastic all over the windows. It reminded me of when we were little. Grandma didn't have much money and she'd put plastic on the windows during the cooler months. Was Cory living like this or was this the place Aveion wouldn't know.

He leaned over, turning on some mechanical heater. The liquid had a strong smell, maybe it was kerosene or something. Whatever the substance, it made me cough a little. I had to catch my breath and get up to move closer to the door. I caught glance of the duffle bags he'd given us. I instantly went to retrieve a jacket from the clothing he packed when I accidently opened the 'other' one loaded with cash banded up.

I rolled my eyes thinking Cory must feel he hit the job of his life, protecting his own sister. It must've been easy for Ave to locate him seeing he'd stalked me all my life, he kept tabs on my family members too.

"Are you going to start talking soon?" I asked him, now finding a coat that I quickly put over my chilled arms.

"Don't know if you want that before you eat." He looked up at me, screwing the top on the stank liquid.

"Look, I ate already and I'm tired of y'all keeping shit from me." I stated.

"That damn mouth of yours. You went from saying kiss my booty at the age of six to y'all keeping shit from me, now." He shook his head laughing.

"Core!" I snapped.

"Look, all I know is that the truth momma wanted to tell you was so deep she took it to her grave. It took me about ten years to figure out my damn sister was a "key" to the world that was supposed to not exist to humans."

He walked over and pulled out a chair to a messed up kitchen table on it's last leg if you ask me. I carefully sat down and looked on him with wonder. What exactly did mom take to her grave?

"What kind of key?"

"Yo' boy Aveion is trying to protect you from some supernatural bad dudes or something. I didn't hesitate. I've always protected you sis and I always will. His dad is brutal. He killed so many like you, they just was supposed to care for your kind."

"Stop! Stop staying that and tell me what I am!"

"I can't. It's written that only the one who bares your crown is the only one to read what is written and I think, maybe he already have shown you. It's not about what anyone has told you now, it's about what you believe." He shrugged.

I inhaled slowly taking in the fumes and this confusion before coughing hard.

A phone interrupted the next thought from my heart about everything. It was coming from the duffle. Cory jumped up like his life depended on it and scrambled to rummage through the money bag.

It was a small flip phone. I don't remember the last time I'd seen one.

"Yeah!" he answered.

"Got ya...nah, she good!" He yelled and nervously chuckled. He looked at me and nodded as if I knew what was going on. "No, I didn't...we had great timing."

I had no idea what was being said but I was growing anxious. I jumped up and grabbed the phone, turning my back on my brother.

"Ave!"

"Yes, my love."

The sound wasn't clear, I didn't care.

"Come to me" I desperately tried to pick my words as if they were numbered. It was the only legible thing I could come up with from the urgency I felt in my entire body.

"I'm near baby girl, please...mind your brother."

His words could have infuriated me but it was something he was doing, something that I didn't quite understand.

Thing is, he was coming to me now, at least I would feel the void lift from my heart.

"Okay," I smiled so hard...I didn't want this goofy nigga to see it.

He ended the call before I did. I just sat there in silence. Nothing Cory could say would fix it now...he was coming.

I coughed again. This time so hard I nearly threw up.

"Cory, the odor from the kerosene is making me sick. You should know this already." I groaned from the smell, it was really making me sick.

I headed to the metal door and turned the knob to open. The fresh, cold air was life and I embraced by stepping out in it.

While outside, I looked at the trees covered in darkness. God created so much and we barely touch half of it while we were alive. What could mom have kept from me about this key and why did it include me and no one else.

The second I took that step into the cold, I felt warmth.

It engulfed me like a blanket.

Arms...or a blanket.

I gasped and fought my captor. Not again....

"Cory!!"

My screams did nothing for me now. This person, or thing was huge and his hand covered my mouth, sealing my fresh air and my voice that would be my first savior.

Fuck....

I was lifted and turned until I came eye to eye with him.

Windows the Series- Book 2जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें