Chapter Five: Part of Their World (Part I)

Next day, Harriet woke up a little disoriented and felt confused until she realized that she was really in Auradon.

It felt strange to wake up without the faint sound of the waves hitting the Jolly Roger and the smell of fish.

She suddenly felt a pang of nostalgia, what would Sammy be doing? would the twins, Squeaky and Squirmy, finally attend school with the other kids instead of being ship-schooled? what of the rest of her crew?

At least she had Big Murph with her at Auradon and she knew that he didn't need her to check up on him anymore, he was finally around people who would take advantage of his good heart. Her friend didn't deserve to grow up with Black Murph, who had become an even drunk man after so many years in their prison.

When the dark haired girl rolled on her back trying to gather enough will to get up she realized that her roommate was already up and trying (rather unsuccessfully) to comb her long hair. After a minute or so of watching those unsuccessful attempts she got annoyed and so she asked "What are you doing?"

"Braiding my hair" Claudine responded in a frustrated tone and then added in a mumble "Or trying to"

The raven haired girl sighed and decided to sit on her bed, she thought about getting out of the bed but the covers were comfy and warm, then she raised an eyebrow and asked: "You didn't do your hair in the Isle?"

The other girl looked at herself at the mirror while running her fingers through her hair and said "Father paid Lady Tremaine to teach me how to braid it when I was five since he wouldn't do it but I'm too nervous right now...it seems that every time I braid it one or two strands of hair get out"

Harriet understood and pressed her lips before saying something that she wouldn't have said to anyone who wasn't part of her crew "Do you want me to help?"

"Would you?" The former bell ringer asked surprised and turned her head to her roommate, then squinted her eyes before adding another question "Why would you?"

"Your lack of advance in braiding your hair and your huffs are stressing me out" The pirate said while getting out of the bed, she felt a little cold running through her legs and considered backing on her offer but walked towards her roommate "So the sooner this thing is over the better"

The other girl just nodded uneasily and Harriet sighed and started to comb and braid it.

"How do you know to do this?" Claudine asked after Harriet finished "I mean you wear your hair down..."

There was a silence.

"You don't have to answer if you don't want" The blonde said quietly and started smoothing her skirt, if there was something that her father taught her it was to keep her clothes clean and without any wrinkle.

The pirate shook her head and said: "We are going to live here for a year or so...we have to learn to be friends" She stated almost savoring the last word and thought that it seemed too strange for her "My mother used to braid my hair when I was younger...for commodity, and when she died I had to learn" Then she added while looking at her work "I haven't done this since I was ten...I'm surprised that it looks good"

"No offense, but I never thought you would be this...nice" Claudine said in a shy tone.

Harriet gave her an uneasy smile and said: "Since we are here, we have to try to be like them...it may be the best way to have a better life" Then she added in a thought "And to convince the king to bring more kids"

Then the pirate went to take a quick shower and then change her clothes, she chose her black (actually grey since it was too old) jeans, a grey shirt and her favorite red leather jacket. For a moment she thought about the comment that Claudine made about her hair, she always wore it down. She then looked at the crimson bandana she had packed, it had been her brother's along time ago, and decided to use it as a headband.