7. Fathers and Heirs

The artwork above is not mine.

◦═══✦═══◦

Estelle sat awake, chin tucked over her knees as she struggled to regain her breath. This was the first time she'd had a nightmare since returning to the Night Court. She'd known her peaceful rests would be short lived, but she hadn't expected a nightmare already.

Shadows brushed across her cheeks and curled over her shoulders, offering what comfort they could. She stroked one that had wrapped itself around her hand. Reach to the Angel of Dawn, the shadows urged.

I'm not going to wake him, Estelle replied. I'm fine.

She sensed the shadows' disbelief before they voiced it. You are trembling. You woke up crying. You are afraid.

I'm fine, Estelle repeated. She slid off the bed and walked out onto her balcony. The night was warmer than most. Summer was already on its way. Wings beat softly in the distance and Estelle stiffened.

The Spymaster approaches, the shadows said, easing her wariness.

Estelle brushed her thumb over the crest on her family pendant. It almost seemed to glow with warmth. Azriel banked towards her balcony and landed without a whisper of sound.

"You're home late," Estelle said.

"I've been at the Court of Nightmares. Several of Keir's guards have gone missing lately. Devlon and I were put in charge of locating them," Azriel explained. "We haven't made much progress unfortunately." He titled his head, a shadow drifting towards his ear. "What's wrong, Little Bat?"

"Nothing." Estelle averted her eyes.

Azriel sighed, crossing his arms. "Was it a nightmare?"

Estelle shook her head. "It's nothing. I'm fine."

"Seren showed me Mikael's letter and explained what's been going on. You should let us help you, Estelle, especially if you aren't going to let him."

"I have let Mikael help me," she protested.

Azriel raised an eyebrow. "To what extent? Have you reached out to him tonight?"

"No..."

"Why not?"

"Because part of the reason I came here was so Mikael didn't have to put up with my problems. I'm not going to bother him while I'm gone."

"How will he know how to help you if you don't tell him what's going on? He's still going to be able to sense your fear and panic. Your pain."

"I know." Estelle crossed her arms, mimicking her father's stance. "But the minute I said something about a nightmare, he'd come to me. I doubt you'd appreciate that."

"It doesn't matter what I do or don't appreciate. What matters is that you're all right and taken care of. Besides, I can sympathize with Mikael a little right now."

"You can?"

Azriel nodded. "When your mother was tortured by Beron Vanserra in the Autumn Court, she refused to speak to me. She didn't acknowledge me at all. Still, I felt her pain when they tortured her. I felt her fear, her panic, her despair. That was worse than if I'd been tortured myself. I know that feeling your fear and pain will harm Mikael more than waking him up to talk to him would."

Estelle didn't reply. She bit her lip as her shadows squeezed her arms encouragingly. Azriel waited a moment, then added, "And if you don't tell him to come when you need him, I will." That caught her attention. Estelle's eyes widened. "Don't look so surprised, Little Bat," he chuckled. "You should know I'll always do what's best for you."