Chapter 36: Soon it will pass...

Start from the beginning

“I’ll call a meeting with my pack in the courtyard at midnight. I’ll fill them in on what’s going on and you and your brothers will be introduced. Try to get there on time.”

“Of course.”

“If there’s nothing else, I’ve got a lot to do…” The Alpha trailed off, his gaze holding my own.

I gestured to the door. “By all means, do not let me keep you.”

A moment later he and his Beta trailed out of the room and I was left alone, but for the presence of my brothers and my drudge.

“The filthy cur!” Marcan spat and I turned to him with a raised brow.

“I’ve always despised those damned beasts. Believing themselves to be entitled. Prancing about with that pathetic air of superiority, as though blood-drinkers are not good enough to grace the same space as they.” He ranted.

“Kaio.” I spoke and my drudge turned his gaze upon me.

“Walk with me.” I told him and when I turned to leave, he of course followed. I listened to the click of his feet on the stone floors and chose to drown out the sound of my brother’s cussing as I went.

Outside, the stars were high and bright in the sky. It was a shame that such a beautiful night was tinged with despair.

Kaio was silent as he walked by myside. Gone was the constant chattering that was part and parcel of his personality. He tended to become withdrawn whenever he believed I was upset with him and I suppose that in all honestly I was.

I had tasked him with keeping my Tony safe and he had instead chosen to use poor judgment.

“Tell me Kaio.” I began and not once did he look my way. Instead, his eyes remained glued to the ground, his shoulders stiff.

“Yes my lord?” he answered softly.

“Where are the guards I sent along with you to watch over Tony while he was away?”

This time he did look at me and his eyes were wide with his innocence and his fear.

“I know not my Lord. I had believed them to be there at the time, perhaps hiding amongst the trees as they sought to keep Tony safe, however when I called for them upon learning of Tony’s injury, they did not come to me.”

I nodded. “I see… and you did not think to report this to me at soonest?”

His eyes widened further. “I did not think my Lord. So focused was I on the events of the night that I had unconsciously removed them from my mind.”

“I see. And tell me again why it was that you were not there to prevent the arrow from piercing Tony’s flesh.”

He took a breath. “You had asked me to allow him to enjoy his stay my lord and I thought it would be best to give him as much space as possible.”

“You needn’t go as far as you did. He would not have known you were there if you had positioned yourself correctly. You would not have ruined his fun even if you were close by and had you been close by, perhaps all this could have been avoided.”

“I apologize my Lord. Of course I take full responsibility for his injuries.”

I looked away from him and up at the stars. We had paused in our walk and I allowed the faint night breeze to brush against my skin.

“It is Lord Christophe who is responsible. Were it not for Tony’s fondness of him he would now be but a pile of ash.”

“Lord Christophe does care for him my Lord. He would not intentionally harm your Tony.”