33: through their deadly plans

Telemachus

"Ah, mother, there you are!"

"Yes, here, in my own sitting room, where I usually am. I can see why you're surprised darling," she says, very nicely.

"Yeah, that is a common greeting though."

"Hmm, not really but we'll leave it, where have you been, hunting?" she asks, tugging the scarf off of my head where I had it tied when we were doing our staking out of the house.

"Yeah, actually um—so I'm here. Just fine, and I'm gonna go chat with the suitors, so goodbye," I say, preparing to leave.

"Why are you talking to them? They don't like you at all for reasons I understand, even though I love you," she says, following me all the same.

"Oh and grandfather has a ah--," what should I say? "Traveler, staying with him, I said we'd entertain him of course I imagine he's chatting with the suitors goodbye."

"Your grandfather doesn't like people? Not normal ones? What kind of person is this?"

"I don't know, oh look there he is about to get beat up by the suitors, I should go."

"Is that Argos? I've been looking for him all morning," she frowns.

"Yeah, he was with grandfather—," I am attempting to leave but she has my arm.

"Surely this traveler can care for himself? He looks like a soldier?" she frowns.

"He was, we thought he might have news of my father," I lie.

"Excellent, bring him to me after dinner. I would speak with him," she says, letting me go.

"I will," my dad can handle that. Definitely.

I rush downstairs to find the suitors brutally accosting him. They would have done more damage, but Argos growls and snaps at them, he's clearly bitten two. My father, for his part, is not retaliating, though I can see murder burning in his eyes.

"Stop it!! Leave him alone," I cry, moving in front of my father, "What's wrong with you? Lately?"

"He's a vagabond, just wandered in," the leader of them scoffs.

"He's my guest, and he's dining with us tonight, he brings word of my father," I growl, helping my father to his feet.

"Are you okay?" I ask him, checking a fresh bruise on his face.

"They're far from the worst monsters I've met," he spits, gripping my arm, "Tell me how was your mother?"

"She's fine she's—she was just up there," I look back up where she was standing, "She wants to speak with you tonight."

"What?"

"I had to tell her I brought somebody--- she saw you---I said you were a solider who fought with---you, so she said she wanted to speak to you," I say, "The goddess said she wouldn't recognize you."

"No that's good, I'm sorry, of course, I would sooner see her, even if she doesn't know me," he says, looking up at the balcony where she stood just moments before.