26: in mourning for an absent master

Penelope

"But why do the suitors want to kill me?"

"I don't know, maybe because you played an entire  song on the cymbals at three in the morning. There could be a lot of other reasons, though," I say, completely seriously, as Telemachus and I sit in a coffee shop.

He glares at me.

"What? There could be other reasons though that's my guess," I say, smiling a little.

"I was trying to drive them away!"

"You drove them insane, don't be sad you come by your talents naturally," I say, stirring my tea, "That's why I'm meeting you here. I'd sooner not have an actual bloody fight in the middle of the house."

"Well, how do you propose we get rid of them?" Telemachus asks, miserably.

"I don't know yet," I admit. Yet I'm hopeful today, for some reason? I can't recall the last time I felt something like this sort of hope.

"Were they annoying while I was gone?" he asks.

"Little bit. I got through with them feasting in the parlor so I got that throwing axe that your grandfather gave me as a wedding present, and now they're mostly on the lawn," I say.

"You threw an axe at them?"

"I threw an axe close to them and then said 'don't mind me'—don't look at me like that Telemachus you don't only take after you father," I say, grinning.

"I suppose not," he says, smiling as well, "All right, what would you have me do?"

"Go to your grandfather tonight, and at least arm yourself. I'll judge the suitors tonight and see if they're  still murderously angry with you. If so then there's nothing for it you will have to defend yourself. Surely some of Nestors boys would come and help us be rid of them?" I ask.

"If we kill them what do we do with their corpses?"

"You're really underestimating my life experiences, Telemachus."

"MUM!"

"Shh, calm down, we bury them. It's not like anyone is actually looking for them they've been here for months," I point out.

"That is true, I'll go to grandfather tomorrow. It's late," he says, "Eche said I could stay over as long as I liked."

"Good idea, we do try your grandfather."

"Will you be all right going home with them there?" he asks, frowning.

"For one thing, they want me alive, for another, they're now afraid of me, I'm quite well. I haven't spoken to them in a couple of weeks."

"Mum, stop making them give you expensive presents!"

"Absolutely not," I say, grinning.

"What would dad say about you taking money from those people?" he asks.

" 'That's my girl', or something to that effect," I say, "And its only making them earn their keep."

"You're not going to marry any of them, are you?" he asks, quietly, "You wouldn't?"

"No, your dad is pretty impossible to replace."