12: and let his words fly out to her

Telemachus

I wind up outside, crying. The men wound up chasing me away and throwing things at me and the servants laughed. I hate everyone. And I already told my mother I would take care of things except I don't know how to take care of things.

"Could I come in?"

I look up, a strange man is standing the gates, leaning on them, idly. He has dark hair stuffed underneath a cap, and small, bright eyes. When I get closer, I see they are shining silver.

"I'm a traveler. I've come quite a long way," he says. He's wearing a suit and ivory sweater all of which is quite clean for someone who has been travelling.

"Of course, we are always kind to travelers here in Ithaca," I say, undoing the gate.

"Thank you," he looks me up and down, smiling briefly, before sauntering in.

"Do come inside. I would enjoying hearing of your travels, and you must be weary," I say, leading him up the path.

"Would you then?"

"Yes," I smile. I've heard enough tales to know when a god walks among us. And this fellow has the distinct air of something beyond human. My mother says that I have it, that my father had it as well. A bit too light of foot, smooth of tongue, and bright of eyes to pass for something completely human.

"I have news of your father, he will be returning home soon," he says, folding his arms and smiling a bit. "If his luck holds."

"What—tell me all—I must run and tell my mother," I start to move to do just that.

"Stay a moment, and not kindle her hopes. She has waited long yet for false hope. And your father is still very far from home," he says.

"Why—tell me all I beg of you, my lord," I say.

He smiles, "Clever child."

"Please, I beg of you, tell me what I am to do," I say, "I long for his return I'll do anything--,"

"Ready yourself. I will see to your father. I see all is not well here in Ithaca," He frowns up at the house as he says it.

"It is not, horrible men, wishing to marry MY mother and have refused to leave the house for months," I sigh. "If my father were here they'd be sorry."

"Yes, incredibly, most people are if he's put upon them," he says, shrugging, "Now go and be ready for your father's return."