Chapter 50 - You. You. You.

"What do you think about a picnic down by the beach?", Alex asked me as we return to the cabin in the late afternoon. 

So far, we had spent the day rather unspectacular in the city as we were both quite lazy from the night before. However, there was beauty in simplicity. And by having a secret relationship, I had really learned to appreciate these small things so much more. Simply walking down the streets, holding hands without having to fear that someone might see us, was one of the greatest privileges for us right now. 

It could be so easy. And it would be so right.
I truly couldn't wait to reveal it to the world that this gorgeous man had chosen, and still chose each day, to spend his precious time with me. 

It was unbelievable.

"Liz? Did you listen to me?", Alex's voice brought me back to reality and I refocused my eyes on him. 

"Eh..no. Sorry, what did you say?", I smiled apologetically but had to start giggling as he maneuvered me in front of him so that I was trapped between the tiny kitchen counter and his arms, that he placed next to my sides.

Shaking his head he asked with a smirk: "Tststs..where were you with your thoughts? You were looking at me, still, you seemed to be somewhere entirely else..."

As I felt that I started blushing, I looked down and simply shrugged. However, he didn't let it go and softly grabbed my chin to lift it up, making it impossible for me to avoid his gaze any longer. 

And all of a sudden I found myself back in time at our first poetry meeting in the library. Me, being a small literature student, deeply intimidated by the person who was sitting opposite me. My confident professor, who seemed to have a well-founded opinion on everything and whose eyes remained unreadable, not showing if he was impressed or totally bored. 

But now I knew that he always seemed to tend to the former. And still, I hesitated. I had never met someone that was so eager to hear my thoughts and, sometimes, it was almost freaking me out. I was simply not used to sharing my deepest thoughts and making myself this vulnerable, even though I wanted to. Especially with him. I, myself, longed for this exchance of trust. 

As my eyes met his, I could see the by now quite familiar curiousity in them. He was longing to know what had been on my mind. He always did. Still, it was a little bit embarrassing to admit the truth. 

So, without thinking, I took the comfortable path. 

I shook my head again. It was not important. 

But as I saw his reaction, I was already regretting it. He nodded slowly, accepting my reluctance, not pushing me into anything, but a slightly sad veil seemed to cover his normally bright blue eyes as he let go of me. 

Missing his touch already, my hand reached for his face, softly stroking his cheek as I looked up at him with a light smile:

"So, what were you saying?"

For a few seconds he simply kept the eye contact, his face unreadable. But then, thank god, he gave in with a sigh as he leaned his head further into my hand, answering my question with a small but honest smile:

"I asked if you would like to have a picnic by the beach this evening, love."

Nodding enthusiastically I replied: "I'd love to!" 

His hands stroked over my hips shortly before he backed away a little:

"Alright, then I'm going to pack some things while you choose the food you'd like?"

I nodded and he turned around and moved towards the bedroom. But when he did, something inside of me knotted, screaming that I should do something. So, I took a step in his direction, quietly whispering: