Leyla gave a weak smile, glad that Isabelle believed her. "It's not Finn's fault. The situation was...not what it appeared."

"Lady Isabelle?" A small, worried voice came from the other side of the door, surprising them both. "Lady Isabelle are you in there? Lady Isabelle!"

"Is that Tia?" Leyla whispered with wide eyes. Why was she running around at this hour!? "Tell her you're fine, but don't let her in. She shouldn't see this blood."

Isabelle gave her a narrow-eyed look, then turned to the door. "Everything is alright, Tia. Go back to your room."

"But my lady - "

"Now, Tia!" Isabelle lent her voice more force. "I promise, I will be there shortly."

They both listened to the girl's footsteps recede, then the lady turned back to Leyla. "Tell me, how did you recognise my charges' voice just now?"

"Her voice?" Leyla realised that she had made a mistake. "I spoke to her at the Celebration of the Sword, you had her bring me a gift, do you not remember?"

"That's true," Isabelle acknowledged, but she still seemed dissatisfied. "The first time I met you and even now, you reminded me of a Warrior who was sent to your lands. She cared for Tia more than she cared for herself."

"Oh?" Leyla tried to look uninterested.

"Her name is Leyla. Perhaps you saw her?" Isabelle pressed.

"I'm afraid I've never even heard of her." Leyla smiled stiffly, then changed the topic. "You were worried about Alec, will you go to find him?"

Isabelle nodded, took a step towards the door, then stopped. "Do you know, Alec has not been the same since the night Lieutenant Leyla was summoned by your Leader?" She reached out to touch the cold marble of the bed beside her. "He returned to the Keep a few hours after she left and flew into a rage. He wanted to go after her. He asked to take her place. He wanted permission to request an audience with her from the Leader of Light." Isabelle turned towards her now, taking her measure. "The Warrior King denied all of his requests and gave him a promotion instead. For subduing rebels, he was told, but in truth his majesty wanted to pacify him. Of course it only made Alec angrier."

Leyla tried hard not to look interested, but she couldn't believe what she was hearing. Alec had tried to take her place? Did he really love her then? Perhaps it was not all an impossible joke...An ice-cold layer around her heart began to melt as she imagined being beside Alec freely. Holding his hand, kissing him...

"Lady Alessa?" Another knock on the door interrupted her thoughts. "Lady Alessa, it is I, Tennin. The Prorex sent me to collect you."

Leyla rushed to the door and opened it to reveal the Captain of the Light soldiers who had travelled with her from the Giant Forest. Two of the King's Shadows stood behind him, waiting quietly.

"Where is Raphael - I mean the Prorex?"

"He is in the Great Hall with the Warrior King, my lady. They request your presence," Tennin held out a folded dress of flowing blue silk.

"What is this?"

"The Prorex said you would be needing it." The guard looked at her dress, reminding her of the blood stains. "Please, change quickly and follow me."

Leyla took the clothes, then shutting the door behind her, she looked at Isabelle. "I'm sorry if this upsets your sensibilities," and with that she began to change.

"Here let me," Isabelle said, moving to help her button the back of the layered dress.

"Thank you," Leyla replied, adjusting the long arms of the dress over her shoulders.

Isabelle finished buttoning and took charge of her hair. "You must have been training your whole life."

"Sorry?" Leyla asked, distracted.

"Your arms, your back...I live in the Warrior Kingdom and I know what trained muscles look like." Isabelle was gentle with her hair, pulling strands back one by one as she weaved together an intricate hairstyle.

"I really don't know what you mean..." Leyla hedged, trying to think up of a believable excuse for her unladylike physique.

"If Lieutenant Leyla were here," Isabelle said after a long moment. "If Leyla were here and she found out that Alec loves her. Truly loves her. Do you think she might want to stay?"

Leyla's fingers stilled on the collar she was adjusting. "I really can't guess at such a thing," she said slowly. "But even if she did wish for such a thing, how would it make sense? Isn't General Alec is engaged to the Warrior Princess?"

"That engagement was forced onto him by that conniving Mira!" Isabelle scoffed, finishing the hairstyle and coming back around to face Leyla. "Alec will find a way out of it."

"Will he?" Leyla spoke to herself as she pulled her braided hair over her shoulder. There was the Green King to see to and her innocence to prove, but all she seemed to be able to think about was Alec. It was stupid. It was not befitting a Warrior, but for the first time in her life, Leyla seemed unable to push away her feelings.

Her heart filled with hope, she followed Isabelle to the door.