"That is true, your Highness." Leyla nodded in agreement. "Unfortunately my clothing was ruined. This dress is from a stall in the town"

"A likely story. Can you prove you are from the Land of Light?"

Raphael's ring pressed like a weight on her chest, but she would not reveal it. Nor would she ask the King to call the Light Guards who were waiting for her at the Warrior outpost. The first would prove nothing and the second could be construed as aggression on the part of the Land of Light. She needed this King's help, not enmity. "Your Highness, regardless of where I am from, I did not steal anything. That is what this trial is about, is it not?"

The audience gasped at her audacity, but the King simply laughed. He pushed away one of the women clinging to his arm and slapped the table in amusement. "I like your spirit. Why don't you become my woman and we can forget about this theft?"

"But your Highness!" came a high-pitched wale. Then the nauseating countenance of the Shopkeeper appeared a few tables down from the King. "Your Highness, please seek justice. She robbed me. Took one of my most precious belongings. Who knows what else she is planning to do in our land, she has no respect for your laws, your Highness!"

"Quiet!" The King growled, then he turned his beady eyes on her. "Do you agree to be my woman?"

Leyla knew what would come next, it was written on the bastard King's face. Unfortunately, there was nothing she could do.

"I must respectfully decline."

"Oh?" the King smiled cruelly. "Fine, since you can not prove you did not steal the necklace, I am giving my verdict. Guards, cut off her hands."

The gasps that followed the announcement barely phased her. What kind of tyrant was this Green King? The four guards who had escorted her earlier, came back onto the stage, their faces grim. Had it really come to this? She was going to have to fight her way out, which meant she would never get to see the Kingdom's records. Damn it!

"Stop!" Alec's voice rung clear across the hall as he marched a man who looked a lot like the Shopkeeper, into the King's presence.

Alec's appearance set yet another wave of excitement round the crowd. "Who is that?" "Look at his uniform!" "A Warrior!" "So handsome!"

"What is the meaning of this?" The King raised his squeaky voice, signalling for quiet. "Who are you?"

"I am General Alec of the House of Steel," Alec bowed to the King. Then he pushed his captive forward. "And I have brought you the real thief."

"John?" The shopkeeper cried out. "Why have you brought my brother -"

"Silence!" The King was no longer amused. He looked at Alec for a long moment. "I have heard of you, General. In fact, I was led to believe we were to have an audience this very day. But why would such an illustrious Warrior be hunting for a common thief on my land?"

"Lady Alessa of the Land of Light is under my protection." Alec cast a quick glance in her direction, "That she was allowed to be embroiled in this mess, is entirely my fault."

Gasps sounded yet again and the crowd started twittering. "A lady!" "She really is from the Land of Light!" "The Land of Light!"

Leyla closed her eyes against the humiliation she had made Alec feel. When she took off on her own yesterday morning, not once had she considered that Alec had promised the Light Guards that he would protect her. Her welfare was his responsibility, and Leyla had made him look incapable all because of some ludicrous feelings.

The King held up his hand for silence, then turned to Alec's captive. "Do you admit your guilt?"

"No, your Highness! I swear I did not steal the necklace!" John's eyes were wild as he looked from the King to Alec and back. "That necklace belongs to our mother. Jack, my brother, tricked her into letting him have it, then he even tried to sell it! I just took it, to give it back to mother!"

"It's true your highness," another voice joined in. People made space yet again, this time for an old woman who was leaning on Finn's arm as she approached the King. "This necklace was my mothers." She held up the jewelled flower pendant between shaking fingers. "Jack told me it was worthless. Then he said he accidentally broke it, that it had shattered!"

The King signalled one of his guards to bring the necklace to him, then sighed. "I hate family squabbles. Guards, take the sons to confinement for fifty days. And for wasting the Kings time, the family pays with the necklace." He held up the beautiful piece, then hung it around the neck of an ecstatic concubine.

Leyla saw the old woman pale as her sons were taken away, begging for mercy. She might have even tried to argue, but Finn was quick to move her out of the crowd. And just like that it was over. It was over, wasn't it? She searched for Alec and found him watching her, his steady expression giving her confidence.

"As for you, Lady Alessa of the Land of Light," The King addressed her. "It seems an apology is in order. Should I have given you that bauble?"

"There is no need for an apology, Your Highness."

"No, no. I will feel bad if I don't give you something. Guests from the Land of Light are so rare and here you have fallen victim of a misunderstanding." The King smiled, suddenly all sunshine and benevolence. "Tell me what you want and it is yours."

"Will your Highness grant me a wish then?"

"A wish?" he sounded intrigued. "Alright, what is your wish?"

"If I may approach?"

"You will tell me in my ear?" The King threw back his head and laughed. "A beauty offers to whisper in my ear! Then I shall come to you!" He stood and walked to the edge of the stage.

Leyla bent down, breathing in the scent of sweat and stale breath. "Would your Highness grant me permission to see records of personnel from 17 years ago ?"

The King's brows rose and he took a step back. "Why would you want that?"

"It is a personal matter, your Highness. I am happy to explain it to you, if you'd grant me permission. I don't need long with the papers, just a few minutes."

The King turned back to his chair, his gold brocade coat billowing around his gut. There was a strange glint in his eyes when he resumed his seat. "Lady Alessa, what you request is nigh on impossible. However, if you can show us something that not a single person in this room has seen before, if you can entertain us with something brand new, then I will make your wish come true."

Leyla looked around the hall. There had to be over one hundred people present, how was she supposed to come up with something none of them had ever seen? Several of the rowdier women were laughing and signalling for her to remove her clothes. Something none of them had seen...was that what the King had meant!? He wanted her to take off her clothes!? A glance at the bald faced King and she knew the women had guessed correctly. Grimy piece of shit bastard. Her eyes found Alec across the room.

The Warrior General had not moved from his spot, but the King's soldiers eyed him warily. As they should, Leyla thought with worry. The tick in Alec's jaw told her he was close to wreaking havock. She caught his gaze, asking him with her eyes to give her a moment.

Just one moment to think of something... She could not give up.