"Alright." She picked up the sheath she had left beside a bed of white dove orchids.

"Alright?" Raphael looked taken aback.

"I will refuse," Leyla shrugged. "Or at least I will try. I am not sure if the laws of the Land of Light will take what I say into account."

"Only the Leader's opinion carries any weight, but as long as we are on the same page, I will find a way out of this farce." Raphael's eyes narrowed as he watched her put the sword into its case. "You don't look upset."

Leyla couldn't help snorting at his suspicious tone. "I suppose you think everyone wants to marry you."

"You really don't?" He was truly incredulous now. Leyla laughed, then blinked quickly, surprised at herself. Raphael was too busy getting angry to notice:

"Are you mocking me, Warrior?"

She should probably tell him she wouldn't dare. "As Prorex, shouldn't you be practicing control over your emotions?"

Raphael's brows nearly reached his hairline, then to Leyla's utter surprise, he laughed. "You are a strange one, Lieutenant." He walked a few paces to the large boulder beside the orchids and sat. "Believe it or not, I usually have great command over my emotions, but since the day I was informed of my brother's disappearance, I have...not been myself." He ran a hand through his tousled hair. "I think the lack of sleep is catching up with me."

Leyla watched the Prorex look down at his hands and could feel, for the first time, just how much Michael's disappearance had affected him. "You really care about Michael."

Raphael didn't look up, but his lips curled into a half smile. "It is hard for a Warrior to understand our relationship. The best way I know how to describe it is, Michael is my conscience. Without him, my reign, my life is doomed to failure."

He was right, she didn't understand. She didn't understand their relationship, nor did she understand the man in front of her. At dinner, earlier, she had already gotten the feeling that he was difficult to read. In the garden too, Raphael had been acting like a pompous aristocrat, but what she saw now was not arrogance, but humility. Intelligence and warmth filled the eyes that had only held condescension. What kind of person was the Prorex really?

An idea formed in her mind. "Send me away."

"What?" Raphael looked up.

"Gain me permission to leave for the Warrior Kingdom and I will depart immediately." Leyla took a step towards him, "We can say there are loose ends I need to tie up before going through with the wedding. Once I am gone, you can find a way to break the engagement. Will that work?"

Raphael's golden gaze was unreadable now: "You want to leave so soon?"

"Is there a reason to wait?" She shrugged.

"You understand," He chose his words carefully, "that if you married me, you would become the Queen of Light? That would make you one of the most powerful people in all Four kingdoms."

"I have no interest in that kind of power," Leyla said.

"No interest in power? You must be jesting." Raphael leaned forward with his elbows on his knees. "The Warrior Kingdom is based on the worship of power. How can a Warrior Lieutenant have no interest in it?"

The Prorex was right, Warriors were taught to respect power above all from an early age. To join the army, climb the ranks and be favoured by the more powerful was every Warrior's goal. But Leyla had never had the luxury to set such priorities for herself. Survival had been her only goal all along.

To become one of the most powerful people in the Four Kingdoms? They could keep it. Her wants from life were simple. She wanted Michael to be happy. She wanted to make sure Tia was living a good life and perhaps...perhaps, if she had the chance, she wanted to look for her father.

"You're an interesting one, Lieutenant. If the circumstances were different, I think I might have enjoyed figuring you out." The Prorex rose to his feet, his arrogant expression back in place. "Alright then, I will leave now to secure permission for your travel."

Leyla nodded, strapping the sword to her belt. "I will prepare to depart." She had taken several steps towards the back entrance of the Dome, when Raphael called out to her.

"Lieutenant. I am truly grateful to you for bringing Michael back. Should you need my help in the future, I will repay my debt."

Leyla watched the Prorex cross a wooden bridge that connected the Dome to one of the smaller islands in the inner Keep. Servants bowed as he walked, maids sending him adoring looks. He crossed yet another bridge and disappeared through a doorway into the main building that encircled the islands.

Leyla blinked, realising she had been rooted to the same spot for far too long. It was time to find Michael and say goodbye.