The Begining

Kipo sat in an uncomfortable chair under watchful eyes. Glaring into her soul, bearing two deep holes into her skin. The tension was so thick it was getting hard to breathe. But, it wasn't the angry and disappointed eyes on her that unsettled the girl. She had gotten used to that look thanks to her classmates.

No, what unsettled her is why she’s in this chair. Kipo is outgoing and friendly. She studies for fun and is head of her class thanks to her scientist parents. Yet here she was sitting in the principal's office. She’s been in here before, but never because she’s in trouble. The office door opened and two adults walked in.

“Welcome Mr. and Mrs. Oak,” the principal said standing from her seat. Her gaze softens into a professional one. Mr. Oak put his hand on Kipo’s shoulder as the two sat down. Kipo shrunk down. A pit of bubbling guilt in the base of her chest.

“How bad was it?” Mrs. Oak asked forcing herself to keep eye contact with the woman behind the desk.

“One of the sinks is completely ripped off the wall. Another has a large chunk broken off of it, and one of the stall doors is partly pulled from the henges,” the principal glanced over to Kipo (who wouldn't look up) but kept her eyes mostly on the two parents. The two looked at each other in a silent conversation. Glancing at the child between them. Then back to the principal.

“If it was just some graffiti, or just the door she would have been let off with a warning. The broken sink is enough for suspension. But the other sink was ripped off the wall. How she did that I don’t know, but it is. And she has been having growing anger issues the past few months. I do believe I’ve told you about that.” Song lightly nodded and gently grabbed onto the girl's arm.

“On all these grounds, I’m going to have to expel her.” The principal spoke with a soft sadness in her voice. The tone made Kipo sink more. She wanted to apologize, but she couldn't. She didn’t even know what happened. How was she supposed to apologize for something she can't explain.

“We understand, and will be happy to help pay for the damage,” Lio said. Kipo’s oxygen was stolen from her lungs by a thick bubble deep in her chest. Song gently pulled Kipo from the chair and the three started walking to the door.

“Kipo, I know you are better than this.” Kipo stalled for a second gripping her hands. She shoved them into her pockets then left through the door her mother held open. They walked silently out of the room, a few straggling kids looking at her as they walked past. The three made it out to their car and climbed in.

“I’m sorry,” Kipo’s voice was so soft and weak. It broke her parent's hearts.

“I don’t know what happened.” Her voice cracked. A silent sob slipped from her lips.

“We know you didn’t mean it. We need to talk when we get home,” Song said looking back to her daughter. Kipo silenced her tears and nodded. The car drove away from the school.