16 | Golden Shifts Along the Horizon

~ 3 days after Winter Formal, 2 days before Christmas ~

"Michael, get the sunscreen from the cabinet!"

"Mom, where's the cooler?"

"In the garage. Do me a favor and put the sandwiches and sodas in there, too."

"Melissa, where did we put the chairs?"

Beach days were always chaotic in our family. We lived only about twenty minutes from the coast, and now that most of us were older and could drive, we'd come out here all the time to the Waldaerwood beach house. The beach will always be my favorite place on earth. The Waldaerwood family always went to the beach at least once during our winter break. Our big beach day wasn't until the summer, though, when we played in our annual Waldaerwood volleyball tournament. That was always the highlight of the summer.

The beach held a special place in our hearts for Jake and I. Some of our most special memories were created there. I was excited for today until I remembered my revelation on Saturday night. One that took me my whole life to figure out. I can't believe I was so blind. If I had only listened to even one person telling me otherwise, maybe Jake and I would have what Jules and Josh have. Jake and I hadn't spoken much since Saturday night, but the Fitzwood family would be driving up to San Jose tomorrow to visit Jake's grandmother Judy. We all loved her like our own, and she felt the same about us. I was sure she'd have a pile of presents waiting for us at the foot of her tree. I can't wait for her to come back with us for Christmas.

"Violet, we're ready to go," Dad called from downstairs. "Are you coming with us or with Jake?"

"I'll go with you guys," I replied, hastily gathering all my stuff to put in my bag. I'll find time to talk to Jake at the beach, I told myself. Deep down I knew that was unlikely. With the chaos of Waldaerwood beach days, it was unlikely that we'd get any time to talk alone. This is such a good way to end this year. I could barely hold myself together and I couldn't turn to the one person I trusted the most for help because I'd probably spill my guts without a second thought. I might end up spilling too much, which wouldn't end well for anyone.