18 | Hidden Revelations

I woke up to a cheerful day, but it starkly contrasted my mood

I woke up to a cheerful day, but it starkly contrasted my mood. It had been seven days since we lost Dad and five days since we said our final goodbyes to him. It was getting better, ever so slightly. I was so incredibly grateful for my family—all the Waldaerwoods. Despite everything, I couldn't stop thinking about how lucky I was to have a support system like this. Many people might have found it intrusive, but I loved having someone new checking up on you every so often. Jake hardly left my side the past week.

I still hadn't told him how I felt. I never found the right time. If only Dad were here, I could ask him for his advice. I got out of bed, shaking my head as I saw the obnoxious bouquet next to the number balloons. Jake, I thought as I laughed. I pulled out the note from the flowers, smiling as I read it.

Dear Violet,

Now, I know the rules, you and Jacob have to say happy birthday to each other first. So I'll wait until I see you later to wish you. I bet you're laughing at the flower arrangement. I asked for the biggest one the florist had.

Love, the idiot that's your best friend,

Jake

P.S. I know I say this every year, but my gift for you guys this year will be my best yet. I know you'll want a hint, but you'll just have to wait and see.

I leaned the note against the vase, grabbing my phone and Jacob's card before heading to his room. Of course, he's still asleep. One leg was dangling off the bed as if he wasn't afraid of the monsters grabbing it underneath. I'll never forgive Liam for scaring me when I was seven. I grinned, pulling up an old video on my phone, then pressed play and held it up to his ear.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACOB!" Five-year-old me screamed as I danced circles around my twin. Jacob woke up with a start and rolled off the bed, glaring as I broke out in laughter. His glare soon turned into a grin as he got up, laughing as I showed him the rest of the video.

"I haven't seen that video in forever," Jacob laughed. He grabbed a card from his nightstand, and the two of us switched cards. "Happy birthday, Violet."

"Happy birthday, Jacob."

We took our annual birthday selfie before getting ready for the day and going downstairs. We were met with a burst of confetti at the bottom, followed by the laughter of the little monsters of the family. Mark was smiling from ear to ear while Lillian proudly presented us with our paper birthday crowns. Jacob and I made a show of putting them on which made Lillain's day. The rest of the Waldaerwoods were spread out about the house, and Mom emerged from the crowd, pulling us into a tight hug.

"I can't believe my babies are eighteen now," Mom pulled back, wiping away a tear. Seeing her cry only made me want to cry, and Jacob soon followed. I have a feeling the three of us are going to be a mess all day.

"Okay, so, we do need you out of the house while we decorate, so Jules and Josh are taking you two out to the park for the day," Jade announced. She had a clipboard in one hand and a pen in the other, looking every bit the professional she was. "Jake and April, if you're joining them that's fine, but I need to know how many people I can delegate the balloons to. I can't trust Shawn and Eric with them."