🎶 15 | A Night of Frozen Words & Dreams

~ the day of Winter Formal ~

"Jules, where's my hair clip? I just put it out on my dresser

"Jules, where's my hair clip? I just put it out on my dresser."

"I have no idea. Maybe check the bathroom?"

"I did, and it wasn't there."

"Ask Jade then, she might've seen it."

"I haven't. I'm still trying to find my hair clip. Ask Jada."

"I'm still trying to find my dress!"

Josh and I were in the living room, both of us adjusting our collars and anything else we could as we waited for the girls to come down. As much as I hated to admit it, I was just as nervous as Josh was. It wasn't like Violet was my date tonight like Jules was for Josh. These days, though, I noticed I felt anything but friendship toward her. Josh noticed the change in me and kept bugging me to tell him what was up, but I held back. How am I supposed to admit that my feelings have changed to someone else when I can't even admit that to myself?

Emma, the junior who was originally supposed to plan everything, was more than happy to hand it all to Violet. So not only did we have to get there early to set up the state, we had to be there early so Violet could oversee everything from start to finish. I still had no idea how Violet handled all this and planned out the Waldaerwood Christmas schedule. Everyone knew she loved to feel busy, but I worried sometimes that she took on more than she could handle. I don't think she's even finished her college essay yet.

"You think they'll be down soon?" Josh asked, laughing as we heard Jules call out for her earrings. "I thought Violet wanted to get there early." To everyone's surprise, Josh asked Jules to Winter Formal without prompting from anyone else. I could still remember how happy Jules was that he asked and how happy Josh was that she said yes. I should've asked Violet that day. Even just as friends. Violet and I made a pact long ago to go to every dance together, so it's not like this one counted for anything.