Goodnight (SNL Era)

"I... I should probably get going."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Okay."

"Okay," he echoed Neither of them moved. Bill swallowed. They were so close. Why couldn't he just stand up and leave? This was exactly why everyone always said not to fall for your coworker.

Why did she have to look at him like that, so sweet? Ever since that kiss, the first one, the only thing he could think about was kissing her again. Her soft lips, her hands at his collar or in his hair.

"I'll, um, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yeah," she said. With that, he rose.

"Are you going to find a taxi at this time?" she asked. She bit her lip.

"Yeah, they're always around," he said. She nodded. He grabbed his jacket off the couch and pulled it on.

"Goodnight, Bill," she said when he was at the door. In the tone was something he couldn't quite place, almost resigned.

"Goodnight, Y/N."

But it couldn't be goodnight. Could it? It was so early for them. The sky was a thick black broken all over the city by streetlights and illuminated windows. It wouldn't be late for them until the sun started to rise. When everything was cast in a pale light and bodega men were unlocking their doors with coffee in hand, that meant it was time for SNL to go home. So why was he letting her leave?

She was down the hallway by the time he came to his senses. He called out her name. She turned, her hair glowing, impossibly beautiful under fluorescent lights.

He leant down and kissed her. It wasn't like the first time. That had been the sound of his world breaking, of everything he knew shattering at his feet.

This kiss-that glowing hair between his fingers, her holding on so damn tight- was the sounds of things falling into place.