48- MTF Expiación

Copyright © designschool 2021

All Rights Reserved

     Gia felt like a robot, just going through the motions of life. The days were taking forever, but the month was going too fast. How was that even possible? One by one she was ticking things off her to do list until she moved to Charleston.

     One weekday morning Sabrina stopped by, and when she called up to Gia's apartment Gia was surprised. Thankfully Sabrina didn't push to find out details, but promised she was there if Gia needed anything including a shoulder to lean on.

     A shocked Brian called another day. He had heard from a coworker that Nick and Gia broke up, but had no idea she was moving away. He wished her the best. And as she had begun to do, she claimed that she and Nick broke up over "irreconcilable differences." What else was there to say without telling his secret? She'd been having to go through it with all her friends and coworkers, same story different day. Soon she'd be gone and miss them all. One she'd miss the most... the one who left a hole in her heart.

     By Friday of the second week she had her routine and was getting used to the idea of leaving when flowers arrived. A beautiful summer bouquet from Nick. The note said he'd wanted to send some every day, but was trying to give her space. One step forward, two steps back. Thankfully that night she was going to dinner with Allison before picking up Jolie, so there was plenty to distract her from those thoughts that threatened to undo her.

     Allison updated Gia on all the office gossip. Her biggest news was that word was out that Chelsea was arrested for embezzlement or insider trading. She said it was all hush hush because it supposedly happened while she worked at Morgan Stanley, and management wouldn't confirm or deny any details. Gia gave her best shocked face, and worked hard to act convincingly curious. Allison promised to come down for a long weekend, and Gia said she would be coming back up a few more times for the next two months until her apartment lease was up. Once she reached the end September, she knew she planned to not visit for a while even though she had the apartment until the end of October. Maybe she'd come once at the end, but the thought of being in New York around the time she was due to get married or be on her honeymoon pained her.

     When Arianna called up for a visit at Gia's apartment Saturday afternoon, she panicked.

     "Has something happened to Nick?" Gia questioned the moment she opened the door.

     Confused, Arianna looked from Gia to Jolie.

     "What's going on? Is Nick hurt?" Gia questioned when there was still no response.

     "No, sorry. I guess it does seem odd, me showing up here all the way from Clemson. He's fine. Well, not fine considering the circumstances." Her eyes went to Jolie again, seeming unsure of how much to say.

     By now Gia had opened the door fully and Arianna was standing in the living room.

     "Arianna, this is Jolie, my Forever Friend. She's staying the weekend with me."

     Once they greeted each other, Jolie went to her room. That's what they were calling it now that she was the only one using it.

     "So, um, what's up?" Gia asked once they were both seated on the sofa.

     Arianna frowned and hesitated. "Nick doesn't know I'm here, I mean he knows I'm in New York and I'm staying with him, but he didn't know I was coming to see you." She pulled at her skirt. "The truth is Nick's a wreck. When he discovered you left the engagement ring, it broke him. He said he talked to you last weekend and you said there would never be a chance for the two of you."