38- MTF Proof

Copyright © designschool 2021

All Rights Reserved

     It had been a week since that practically perfect Valentine's dinner, minus Gia's impractical thought that Nick might ask for her hand in marriage. Nevertheless, it was a beautiful night, and they'd reminded each other many times throughout the week how much they loved each other. Work was crazy busy all week, and they were both looking forward to a relaxing date night at his home that evening. For now they had another full day of meetings.

     As Nick drove to their appointment, Gia couldn't help but admire the handsome man beside her. Though her goal had always been to have a relationship like this, it had seemed out of reach. Even with Robert she knew something was missing, but here she was with a man she loved, a man who made her heart race, and who she couldn't get enough of.

     Reaching for Gia's hand he helped her out of the car in the parking garage, then interlaced their fingers to lead her across the street to the apartment. When two men in suits approached, Nick released her hand and put a protective arm around her and pulled her in a different direction.

     "Excuse us, Nicholas Bellanti?"

     Nick stopped in his tracks and turned to the man who spoke. "May I help you?"

     "I think so. And you're Gia Hoffman."

     Gia shifted uneasily and looked at Nick, hoping he would telepathically tell her how to respond. She settled for a nod towards the man.

     "We're with the FBI. This is agent Bradford and I'm agent Smith." The two men held out their ID's.

     Nick's arm tightened around Gia.

     "We had some questions for you to answer and would like you to come to the main office with us," agent Bradford explained.

     At the sight of Gia's panic, Nick jumped in, "We won't be going anywhere with you right now. If you'll leave a card, we'll get in touch with our lawyer and set up a time to answer your questions."

     "Mr. Bellanti, I'm afraid it's not a choice for you. We have a warrant for your arrest, and I'm hoping you'll make it easy on us so we won't have to pull out the handcuffs. As for her, we have questions." Agent Smith pulled a paper from his jacket and held it out. They really did have a warrant. "Don't worry, we've been in contact with your office and they've removed you both from all appointments today."

     Nick's eyes went wide, then he looked at Gia with worry. "I have no idea what's going on, but I'll need you to contact Brian and explain things to him. He'll get a defense lawyer from his firm for me, and can find someone to work with you during questioning. I know things are still awkward, but I count him as a friend, and he's a good man. Go home until the lawyer's ready to meet with you," He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her head. "Gia, I love you."

     When he pulled back Gia felt bereft. "Wait. Maybe I should come with you now. I can wait until my lawyer comes to answer questions." She didn't want to leave Nick's side.

     "Gia, don't worry. I'll be okay. You go home and get some rest after you talk to Brian."

     "You know I won't be able to rest. I'm coming."

     "Okay you two lovebirds," Agent Smith spoke up. "Enough already. We're taking Mr. Bellanti." He started pulling Nick towards their car.

     "I am coming."

     Nick looked at Gia with a raised brow as they were pushing him in. "Fine, but don't say anything until you have a lawyer. They can twist anything you say."