chapter fourteen - on dry land

Start from the beginning

"Oh."

"You might get an infection or something."

"Exactly!"

"Don't you..." Sophia gestured vaguely. "...need to get rid of the bad blood, then? Spit it out, then Jalen can give you some of his own blood! I think I have a knife in one of my pockets..."

"How would he give me his blood?"

"...Make out with each other!"

"NO!" Jalen and Lucas exclaimed simultaneously.

"Your loss." Sophia shrugged. "If Lucas dies of insomnia, his blood is on your hands, Jalen."

"...You mean amino?"

"ANEMIA! THE BOTH OF YOU MEAN ANEMIA!" Lucas hollered. "Idiots. The both of you. I seriously doubt I'll die from anemia or an infection. I'm more afraid of dying from eating raw squirrels."

"The squirrels aren't raw-!" Jalen brought his food closer to the light of the fire. He caught a glimpse of the red and pink squirrel muscles hiding within the dry, white meat. He promptly tossed his dinner into the fire.

Sophia laughed and did the same. "Ask me a question this time, Lucas!"

Lucas threw his food out, too. "Okay. Truth or dare?"

"Dare. Because I actually have some balls."

"..."

"..."

"You know what I mean!"

Lucas stared bewilderedly at his new companion for a few seconds before giving her a dare. "I dare you to tell me how you know Vaessen."

An express flickered on Sophia's face like the shadows in the light of the flames. It disappeared as quickly as an ember drifting too far away from its home. "This isn't how you're supposed to play the game."

"I don't think there's any roles against it," Jalen said.

"Then I don't want to play anymore!" she huffed.

"Come on, don't be like that. Answer the question. Or, complete the dare, I guess."

"It's fine, Jalen. She doesn't need to answer if she doesn't want to," Lucas and.

"But-?"

"But I really would love for you to tell me someday," he said to Sophia.

Sophia eyed him up and down with crossed arms. With a sigh, she conceded. "Fine. I'm a bit too sober for dumping my sob story right now, but fine."

"Great. Thank you."

Sophia let out a sharp exhale. "Hold on tight, boys!" she said with a forced smile.

"Sophia! Hurry up!" MJ cried out.

The little girl running behind her couldn't stop laughing. Her giggles echoed through the non-stop chatter of the busy street market. The sweet sounds of her glee were music to MJ's ears, bit now was not the time to be laughing. Now was the time to be running. That fact didn't seem to register in Sophia's young mind, however.

Sophia stopped in her tracks and turned around. The stall owner she has shrunken to the size of a toddler pathetically hopped over the baskets and merchandise that MJ pushed over. Sophia stuck her tongue out at him and took a bite of the apple she stole from him in amusement. She wasn't able to properly savour the fruit before MJ yanked her into a nearby alleyway.

"MJ-?"

"We can eat once we get to safety," she said.

The two girls, having barely spent a decade on this cruel world, were met with a towering brick wall marking the end of the alley. The playful smile on Sophia's face was wiped away at the sight.