chapter fourteen - on dry land

The trio had been trekking the land for hours in silence. The sun followed them through sandy beaches, rocky landscapes, and finally, to a forest. However, the sun would have to depart from them soon to a place beyond the horizon. Travelling at night in the woods would probably be a bad idea so Lucas suggested that the three of them set up camp and start moving again in the morning.

Lucas made a small fire, Sophia captured some squirrels to eat, and Jalen skinned and began roasting them over the fire. They started eating, and the only thing thing to be heard was the crackling of fire and the chewing of squirrel meat. Lucas couldn't take it anymore.

He clapped his hands together. "Who wants to play 'Truth or Dare'?"

Jalen stared blankly at him. "What."

Sophia snorted. "What are we, ten?"

"Thank you for volunteering, Sophia! You can ask Jalen first," Lucas exclaimed.

Sophia and Jalen shared a look and shrugged.

"Uh, truth or dare?"

"Truth."

"Coward."

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Ask me a question already."

Sophia tapped her chin in contemplation. "Hm. Why... are you such a loser?"

Jalen stood up. "I'm not playing this game."

"HAHAHA- No, wait! Sorry, sorry! I'll ask you a serious question, I promise!"

"Where were you even gonna go?" Lucas murmured.

Once Jalen say down again, Sophia started thinking for real. "If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?"

"The Library of Haoraine," Jalen replied without hesitation.

Lucas raised his eyebrows. The Library of Haoraine was legendary among nerds all over Wanumon, and Lucas was one of the lucky nerds who had the opportunity to actually visit it. Several times, in fact. It was the one part of the royal grounds that commoners were allowed to visit as much as they wanted to. Lucas still remembered getting lost in the mazes made of bookshelves under the ceiling that seemingly reached the stars.

"How come?" Sophia asked.

"The day I was banished was the day before I planned to visit it," Jalen explained. "If- When I get to go back, I'm going to visit that place as much as I can."

"Take me with you!" Lucas piped in.

"You guys are really sad, you know that, right?"

"Ha, ha," Jalen remarked dryly. "Okay. Lucas, truth or dare?"

"Dare."

Jalen looked around the darkening forest. "Uh, lick a tree!"

"Okay."

Lucas stood up and walked over to the closest tree. He did as he was told. It felt like licking a hard, stiff carpet... which Lucas somehow knew. The rough bark had an earthy flavour to it, as well as a warm metallic taste. It took a second for Lucas to realize that it was the taste of blood.

He backed away from the tree and spat onto the dirt.

"Oh, don't be so dramatic! Trees don't taste that bad," Sophia jeered.

"Is there something you want to share with us?" asked Jalen.

"Shut up!"

"No, it tasted fine. I cut my tongue on the bark."