IX - Comforting Nights

Start from the beginning

The children crowd around Russia to watch the growing image.

America glances up before sitting down, slotting himself next to Russia, leaning against him. Russia moves, wrapping one arm around Texas' shoulder, and one around America, pulling them close.

The disk solidifies to show Connecticut and Dixie sitting in a messy room. Dixie's face looks strangely swollen, but Russia doesn't see any discoloration, so he chalks it up to his vision being weird.

What he can't dismiss are the figures in the background of the message. New York and New Jersey sit on a cluttered bed side by side.

'Both seem bothered,' Russia notes, 'even New Jersey.'

New York is shaking and crying, and New Jersey sits stiffly, silently, beside him. They are holding hands, Russia notes, but New Jersey doesn't look very responsive either.

Delaware walks into frame with Virginia and West Virginia on his tail. Russia can't help but notice how Delaware nervously wrings his hands and bites his lip. Virginia looks annoyed, but worry swims in her eyes when she glances up at Dixie.

Soon, Delaware starts pacing around behind Dixie, glancing around the room, but his eyes keep trailing back to Dixie with worry and panic.

Dixie himself seems to pointedly ignore the glances in his direction.

"What happened?" Dixie asks seriously, "one moment, you're too close to the base with a giant cat, and now you're with a half-cat and you're in Virginia?!"

America starts trying to explain, but Russia finds himself tuning in to Florida's talking.

"Del looks weird," Florida says.

Russia can't help but agree.

"Dixie, you look like shit," Ohio remarks.

"Are you okay?" Kansas asks.

Delaware opens his mouth to reply, but Dixie interjects before he gets the chance.

"I'm fine! I'm fine," Dixie says, his voice strained and overly optimistic.

Delaware's mouth falls shut, a strange grimace growing on his face. New Jersey looks up from the background and quietly stares at Dixie's back, his mouth clamped shut.

'Is there something they aren't saying?'

Dixie forces a laugh and Russia flinches at the noise. It sounds wrong.

Gritty. Rough. Pained.

"What should we do now?" America asks, his voice tired.

'I wonder if he notices anything weird.'

Russia looks over and sees America blankly staring forward, a glazed-over look in his eyes. Russia shakes his head.

'Maybe not, he's exhausted.'

"Tuck, Tenny, West, and I are going to try to come and get y'all," Virginia says.

"I'm coming with," Dixie argues.

Virginia looks hesitant, but ultimately she doesn't argue.

'Why are they so hesitant?'

"We will come and find you. Try to find a road and head south for now. Call Yorky once you have cell service," Dixie says, determined, "you can dismiss the message, Netti."

Connecticut nods, but they don't wipe away the circle.

Instead, they leave it and allow Russia to watch Dixie struggle a little to his feet. Dixie limps noticeably and nearly collides with a doorframe. Dixie leans against the wall as if to steady himself to open the door.

Delaware stands up quickly and walks shortly behind Dixie as if getting ready to catch him. Virginia watches, her eyes sad and her hands fidgeting in front of her.

Dixie waves him off and sways a little before steadying himself.

Russia's heart sinks.

'Is he okay?'

"Dad?" Connecticut calls.

"Yes?" America asks, sleepily.

"I..." Connecticut starts before their face falls into an unsure expression, "... never mind. I hope you get home safe. Bye. I love you."

"I love you too, kiddo. We'll be home soon."

Connecticut waves and the message fades.

"Del is panicking," Kansas comments, worried, "something is wrong. Very wrong."

"Yeah, definitely," New Mexico agrees.

"Do you think it has something to do with Dixie?" North Carolina asks.

"Well..." South Carolina starts before trailing off.

"I don't.... hmmm," South Dakota says, playing with her hands.

"He didn't look right," Florida comments.

"I don't know if we should be jumping to conclusions," North Dakota shouts, her voice just above the nature noises.

"It takes a lot to bother Del though," Ohio says.

"Where are we anyway?" Ukraine asks, his voice an octave higher.

Russia's heart drops.

"We are in Virginia at the moment," America says breathlessly, "in the Appalachian Mountains. It's not safe, but it's better."

"If it goes quiet, sit against a tree and stay still. Works against monsters," Alabama chirps.

"And rabies," Mississippi adds.

"And rabies," Alabama agrees.

"So constant danger. Got it," Ukraine exclaims, throwing his arms into the air before pulling them back down, holding them tightly to his sides.

"You might want to get used to it," Finland comments.

Ukraine hugs his arms around his torso, looking nauseous.

"Raine?" Russia calls.

Ukraine's head pops up.

"Come here, okay?"

Ukraine stumbles over. America gets up and shuffles over, allowing Ukraine to take his place.

America sways, and Finland grabs him with her good arm and, with Mexico's help, they help America down. Finland pulls him into a side hug, and America leans into the affection, shaking. Mexico sits near them, offering company.

Russia moves his focus back to Ukraine. Ukraine stares at the ground, rubbing his arms and shivering.

"Raine, we're going to be okay," Russia promises, "we have people coming to get us, and we have somewhere to go. We will be okay."

Ukraine mutely nods, and Russia offers a small smile. Ukraine looks away for a moment before tackling Russia in a hug. Russia releases Texas and catches Ukraine. He wraps Ukraine into a bear hug that he knew would rival their father's.

'Must protect my little sibling.'

Texas falls into New Mexico, hiding his face from the world. New Mexico seems to be speaking, though Russia can't hear the words.

'We will find a road tomorrow. Then maybe we can make it back home.'

'And then we can figure out what's wrong.'