Chapter 16: Sankofa

Start from the beginning

I took a deep breath and focused my gaze on Nicolo's eyes, they were dark and filled with animosity. The same feeling coursed through my veins as I glared back at him. I was angry that I was stuck with a man that had no respect for me, I can't allow that any longer.

"Nicolo," I sighed out as I walked towards him.

"As I mentioned before, I am not afraid of you," I said as I took a step closer and felt the cold metal tip of the gun touch my chest.

"So please..." I continued as I put my hand on his shoulder and gave him a fake smile filled with pity.

"The next time you make a threat towards me..." I said as I trailed my fingertips down to his elbow and raised his arm so that the gun was now pointed at my head.

"... a pathetic threat," I emphasized as I traced my fingers along has hand and towards the metal surface of the gun.

"Make sure the safety is off," I taunted as I switched off the safety of the gun and smiled at the monstrous man, daring him to pull the trigger.

I stared at Nicolo as his eyes blazed with fury; his hand began to shake as he pushed the gun harder against my forehead and his finger trembled against the trigger. I clenched my jaw tight and closed my eyes, still standing my ground. The cold metal left my skin and my eyes opened when Nicolo shoved me against the wall and placed his forearm against my throat, slightly constricting me from air.

"I don't ever want to see your fucking face in this office again. Do you understand?" he asked and I turned my head to avoid looking at him.

"I said, do you fucking understand?" he repeated as his glare narrowed towards me.

When I refused to respond he began to push his forearm harder against my neck, but before he could hurt me any further I shoved him away.

"Don't ever touch me like that again," I said, wanting to yell, but came out as a whisper as my lips began to tremble.

I began to walk away and pushed past him with my shoulder as I bit my lip, trying to hold back my tears. My chest heaved as I tried to control my breathing and my fingernails dug into my palm, leaving red marks.

Once I got to my room I slid into bed and closed my eyes. You can't cry if your eyes are shut, I thought to myself and shook my head at the dimwitted idea. I let out a shaky breath as I tried to regain my composure and turned onto my side so that I was facing the window, wondering when Alexander would be back.

It has been about two hours since the sun's first ray of light peered into the window. I had not slept much last night, I could not sleep knowing that my questions will never be answered. The folder holds information about Alexander, my brother that I barely know. I wanted to learn more about my family and how my parents were caught up in all of this mess, a mess that I now have to deal with.

A knock at the door pulled me out of my thoughts and I smiled at the person who came to visit.

"Are you alright, Bella?" Viviana asked worriedly as she walked over to the bed.

"I'm fine, just tired."

"Your eyes are bloodshot! Did you get any sleep last night?" she asked and I shook my head.

"Is this because of Nico? Do I need to cut off his balls and shove them down his throat?"

"No! Everything is fine," I replied with a light chuckle.

"I'm here if you need someone to talk to," she said with a concerned tone in her voice.

"Thank you, Viviana," I replied with a smile and she gave one in return.