While Kara threw a tantrum inside my head, I was glaring viciously at the stupid scarecrow, swinging and mocking me. I felt my anger boil inside me as she kept talking and talking. 

Kara, you know that this is a very sensitive subject! You knew I wanted to try and we had agreed to try but as you can see, things happened! Terrible things. Things that I couldn't control nor change. So give me a fucking break!

I was basically seething and I felt my blood boil inside my veins as I talked with Kara. Why couldn't she understand that I just couldn't commit to such a relationship? It's not a simple thing to be mated to the damn Devil!

Do you think you have it hard? Come on, Eli! I'm a sex demon trapped inside a phoenix's body and I can feel my powers faint every single day. You were being harassed and I couldn't do anything about it, Eli! Absolutely nothing! I couldn't protect you, I couldn't save you! What if they have killed you before you unlocked your powers? 

She paused and tried to calm her erratic breathing before continuing. 

So what am I doing here? If I can't protect you, what the hell am I still doing here? 

It was only after her angry voice turned into one of clear disappointment that I understood why she was being so aggressive. 

Kara... You know that I wouldn't be here without you, right? I would be dead in a ditch or rotting in Hell. You have helped me numerous times and I feel safe knowing that you are constantly here to save my ass. 

But I understand if you are bored and tired of me. You had to put your life on hold for almost 22 years in order to keep me safe and make sure I find the right path. So tell me what's exactly holding you from being done with your... assignment, what's keeping you from being released? 

Several minutes passed and Kara remained silent. I kept pulling at the soft grass as I gave her time to calm down.

Well... There are a lot of things that I haven't told you about this... assignment. But I wasn't allowed to say anything until you found out on your own. You have to understand that... I'm just the messenger here.

Yes, sure Kara. But no more secrets, okay? If you know something I don't, please tell me and I swear I won't rat you out. 

Okay... Where should I start? 

From the beginning, I said firmly. She sighed anxiously and took a deep breath. 

When you were born, word spread all over Hell that the daughter of Queen Madison had come into this world. Every succubus and incubus wanted to meet you, meet the next Queen. During the first week, your mother visited Hell to tell us the bad news; The spawn of the Queen of all succubi wasn't a demon, never mind a succubus. 

Well, you can imagine what happened in Hell. Everyone questioned the Queen and her power. Your mother fought many other powerful succubi in order to maintain her place on the throne. And simultaneously she had to take care of you and raise you. 

My heart clenched tightly every time Kara mentioned my mother and my mind drifted back to when she was still "alive". My body was burning up from within at this point. 

But Madison won every fight and defeated every arrogant bitch that thought was strong enough to outpower such a mighty Queen. I was always the one closest to her and was one of the few ones that remained by her side while she fought for her throne. So that's why she chose me to protect you. She knew I was powerful and strong enough to handle such an important assignment. 

So she brought me to your bedroom and she showed me the small baby sleeping peacefully inside the cradle. She picked you up and showed me the back of your head. I was so mesmerized by the sight of the mark, yet so terrified by it. The assignment suddenly became too much for me and I wanted to back out.