Revali's Flap

My alarm rings an hour earlier than it usually does and I am wide awake before I even open my eyes. It doesn't take more than five seconds until I'm on my feet and on my way to the closet to get dressed. Astronomy isn't until later tonight but I want to review my notes before my political science class.

"I am going to get a 100 on this exam," I tell the reflection in the mirror as I brush my hair.

The house is still dark and quiet, the staff hasn't started their day yet and Father is already off to Mammoth Mountain. On my way to the door I pass the piano in the living room. My feet come to a halt as my eyes take in the majestic instrument. I don't usually take notice of it but since yesterday I find it hard to ignore it. I want to sit down and sing a song but I have more important things on my agenda.

The sky is drenched in the colors of dawn. I can't keep my eyes off the bright golden clouds as I drive to campus. Arriving here before 8 AM has its perks; free parking spots close to the library.

I make a quick stop by the coffee cart, hoping some latte will help me stay focused. It's going to be a long day. First I have my political science class, then English with Link, Lunch with Impa, Biology with Link and Mipha, more studying, then astronomy, and finally Link's soccer game. Speaking of the devil, is that him jogging on the track?

"Three bucks," the barista says, holding out the coffee to me.

My eyes zip back to the student worker with a round haircut and freckles sowed all around his big red nose. I pay him, take my coffee, and choose the longer route past the track to wave to Link. The temperatures are low this morning and a shiver sprinkles my body with goosebumps just from looking at Link in shorts and a t-shirt. My stomach twists at the sigh of the bandage on his right arm.

He sees me waving but doesn't stop or wave back. Nobody else is in sight but he is probably just being cautious and keeps running without another look at me.

Having spent the first half of my day studying for a class that terrifies me and paying attention to a lecture I don't enjoy even a little bit, I head to my English lecture hall where Link is already sitting in the back. With his hoodie up and his headphones on, he doesn't notice me when I sit down next to him. His hair is wet and he smells freshly showered, unlike the first time we met.

"Hey," I whisper to him while looking at my astronomy notes for the 50th time today.

He doesn't answer and I'm starting to feel ignored. I turn my head to look at him but he doesn't return the gesture.

"I waved at you earlier, did you see me?" I ask with a faint smile, trying not to sound judgmental.

When he still doesn't look at me I know something is wrong. Is this because I brushed his text yesterday? Or because I have been dodging him for three days?

I place my hand on his and he instantly looks at me in shock, pulling his hand away. Déjà vu.

"Did you hear me?" I ask before jumping into defense.

He removes his headphones, and while he takes a look around to see if anybody saw what I just did, he asks, "What are you doing?" in a whisper, barely moving his lips as he speaks.

"Nothing, I just... Did I do something?" I'm so nervous right now and it's not due to the upcoming exam.

"No," he says without hesitation. "I'm concentrating. Important game today."

"Oh. So we're good?"

He nods and proves it with a genuine smile, then he puts his headphones back on and packs his things.