Bad News

Link sucks in a sharp breath when I kiss him without a warning. For a split second I thought he'd pull away, but he takes that fear away when his hands cup my flushed cheeks without breaking the kiss.

All my negative thoughts fall apart under the soft pressure of his minty lips. He leans in to kiss me back. I can't find my breath but I couldn't care less. All I care about right now is Link. I've never felt like this before; so safe and so vulnerable at the same time. It's electrifying, like a thunderstorm, like hot and cold air colliding and forming into a tornado of emotions. I want more. My mind can't keep up. I just want this feeling to last forever.

As Link moves one hand to my back, my hands immediately move to his jaw involuntarily, allowing my fingers to tug on his thick hair. I don't know what I'm doing. This is all so strange and new to me, in a good way though. His hand on my cheeks and his touch on my lips are nothing compared to any feeling I've ever experienced. His kiss is gentle but the way he puts pressure on my back tells me that he's holding back. I scooch closer, as does he.

His nose strokes my cheek as he tilts his head to align his lips with mine, making the butterflies in my stomach dance. Both our chests are moving up and down rapidly. His hand puts more pressure on my back and I try to move closer but there's no more space between us. I'd have to climb on top of him to get any closer. Without thinking, my arms wrap around his waist and he groans into my mouth. I managed to forget all about his injury, I have to be more careful! I want to apologize, but he doesn't let me break our kiss to speak. I'm glad he doesn't.

I want to put my arms around his neck instead of his back, but the muffled sound of a car door being shut stops me. I draw back in a heartbeat, nearly knocking over the wine bottle behind me.

"What's wrong?" Link says breathless.

"Someone's here," I squeak horror-struck.

"O...okay. Your parents?"

"Improbable. It might be the chef..."

"You have a chef? Like a private chef?"

My phone lights up and the loud vibration makes me jump. It's a message from Father.

*Come downstairs.* It reads.

I feel the color drain from my face. It's him. He's here.

"It's my father, he wants me to come downstairs," I tell Link in a shaky voice.

It's about me skipping astronomy, it has to be... Other than the curfew, I've broken every single one of his rules today. Well... Kind of... Link isn't my boyfriend, but we kissed... We... For the love of Hylia... We kissed! Did that really happen? I can't freak out now. Not when Father is waiting in the driveway. I have to hide Link and act like everything is ordinary until Father leaves again. If he leaves again... What if he's done with work for tonight? Why is he so early today? He's rarely ever home before 9 PM, even on my birthday he usually works late. Why does he have to be early today of all days?

"Should I leave?" Link says and turns around to pick up his t-shirt.

Only now do I notice his many scars across his arms and back. I've never seen a body so marked by wounds and I'm intrigued to know the cause, but there's no time to ask about it right now. He pulls the t-shirt down to cover his scarred body but before he can make another step I grab his hand to stop him from leaving the room.

"You can't leave now, he'll see you!" I whisper, scared that Father will hear me even though he hasn't even entered the house yet.

"Then what do I do?" Link asks calmly.

"I don't know."

"Sneak out the back?"

"I don't know," I say again. "No. You'll get caught."