Friends

I head to the cafeteria and wait for Impa. She's a few minutes late, but I'm too happy to see her to complain about her timing. I hug her for a few seconds, making her laugh.

"Somebody missed me."

"I have a lot to tell you," I say as we leave the cafeteria.

"Tell me all about it when we're backstage. I kinda like the theater now, it's like a private show while we're eating. Makes me feel like royalty."

"Let's go anywhere but there," I suggest instead.

"Why? I thought you liked it up there."

"One of the actors saw us last time."

"Oh, that Romeo guy? Now you're scared we'll get in trouble?"

"No, that's not my concern," I grab the locket on my necklace. "The guy is... I don't even know where to start. He's in my astronomy course. And he sort of... Asked me out? Which doesn't really matter, but I just don't feel like--"

"He hit on you?" Impa interrupts with a wide stare and I nod. "Did you..." she stops.

"Did I what?"

"You know? Give him your number?"

"No, of course not."

"Why not? Is he not your type?"

"What do you think my type is exactly?" I want to know.

This is the second time she's made a comment about my type.

"I don't know, you never talk to me about this kind of stuff," she shrugs.

"Because stuff like this has never happened to me until last week."

Impa walks to the staircase and I follow without asking where we're going. She wouldn't tell me anyway. When we reach the top floor I want to leave the staircase but Impa grabs my arm and shakes her head. Then she pulls out a set of keys to open the door to the roof.

"Impa...?"

"I know what you're going to say. It's fine," she laughs.

"Where did you get those keys?"

"Would you believe me if I said I found them?"

"No."

"Hm. I'm borrowing them."

"Did you steal them?"

"What? Me?" She giggles and opens the door. "I would never."

"This is illegal," I whine.

"Not if you don't get caught," she chants.

"Still illegal," I chant back.

We step into the light. The ground of the roof is covered by a lawn in striking green. Impa shuts the door behind me and grins at me as I soak in the sun.

I follow her to the edge of the building. There's no wall, fence, or any kind of barrier, so I don't go too close to the edge. We sit down and Impa pulls a little plastic box out of her bag with a piece of fruit cake inside. She tries handing it to me but my eyes are distracted by the ocean view in the distance.

"Admit it," she says, catching my attention again.

"What?"

"Admit that this is a cool spot."

"Yeah yeah, it's a cool spot," I roll my eyes.

Impa even brought me a lemonade. Sometimes I forget to appreciate her and it's something I really despise about myself.