Chapter 3: Confessions + A Familiar Face

Author:
* * * = Time-skip
. . . = Small Timeskip
[ ] = POV Change
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Hero POV]

I'm washing dishes after I had my mom's special spaghetti and meatballs. It's almost night time, about eight o'clock. The sky was turning a beautiful shade of blue, the stars scattered about like confetti. The silhouettes of trees making a huge shroud of darkness, only broken by some of the lamps outside. I heard the sound of stilettos behind me.

Mom: "It's beautiful, Isn't it?" She said. I put a plate in the dishwasher.

Hero: "Yeah, it is."

Mom: "When we were younger, your father and I always used to go this huge field of sunflowers not too far from here."

Hero: "Really?"

Mom: "Mhm! We would just lay down and look at the stars." She adjusted her purse. "We would just sit there and talk about life and stuff. I'd always tell him about my childhood, and he would be there to comfort me." I chuckled and threw a few utensils in the dishwater.

Hero: "That's awesome."

Mom: "Yup. I bet that's where you got your kindness from." She grabbed my cheeks, tilting my head side to side. "I'm guessing thats why you're so handsome too!" She said, kissing my cheek repeatedly, making me laugh.

Hero: "Heehee! Mom, stop it! I'm trying to do dishes!"

Mom: "Ok, then, mister. But expect more when I come back from work." She patted my shoulder. "There's some leftover pizza and macaroni in the fridge. Love you, big guy!"

Hero: "Love you too, momma!" I said, waving to her, seeing her frame disappear out the door.

Hearing the door close, I look back at the dishes and wash a few forks. As I said before, my mom's a very busy woman. She always goes on these business trips, and my father is a lawyer often found flying around the world, so that means both of my parents are never really home. They always bought stuff for me as compensation for not being at the house. I taught myself how to cook and clean because...well, you know.

I turn off the hot water and put the sponge down. I dry my hands off with a paper towel. I smirk, I ball the paper towel and shoot it like a basketball in the trash. It did a heavenly arc through the air. I watch it as it descends upon the trash can, eagerly waiting for the 3 pointer...

It bounced off and hit the floor. And that's when I realized that it was full.

Bruh.

Well...it has been a while since I've taken it out...so much for a 3 pointer. Defeated, I walk over and tighten the strings and heave the trashbag over my shoulder. It was heavier than expected. I exited through the front door and headed towards the dumpster.

I look around me, seeing the many trees, shadows engulfing everything. It's pretty uncanny of how scary this place looks, but when you live around here, you get used to it. This place is actually very nice, and nobody ever gets mugged or kidnapped here, despite the perfect setting, which is a huge relief...

I walk up to the dumpster and throw the bag in with a grunt. And just like that, I leisurely walk back to my house. I start to whistle the notes to Johnny B Goode before...

Rustl rustl...

What? Surprised, I turn around hearing a rustling in the bushes, but I don't see anything. Huh, weird. Thinking it was a critter or something, I continue to walk.