23.) Opening Up

Kaida is back on her panic attack and PTSD medicine. It's not helping. It's making it worse.

Ever since the Split, Kaida hasn't talked to anyone but her brother for a week. She avoids everyone like the plague. If anyone comes near her she gives them the most deadliest glare, gives them warning explosions, immediately gets up to leave, or some varying combination of them.

Kirishima is the recipient of most of them. He's tried to keep his distance, but it's difficult to see Kaida acting this way. He wants to help. It's like everyone is back at the start. They have to rebecome her friend, and she's made it increasingly more difficult than it was before.

~

"Hey, Bakubabe this new animal cafe opened up, you wanna–"

She gives Kirishima a deadly glare before standing up and leaving. Her brother doesn't even glance at Kirishima as he follows.

~

"Bakubabe! I got some new nail polish! I think you'd really like the color! Wanna–" Mina cuts herself off.

Another glare and leave.

~

"Bakubabe! Got a new video game! Bet you can't beat me!" Kaminari grins confidently.

"Dude, I could totally beat you," Sero challenges.

"You're on! Wanna see if you can beat us, Bakubabe?"

Warning crackles and glare and leave.

~

"Bakubabe, you okay?" Kirishima asks.

A snarl, a glare, and an explosion to his face. She's gone before he can even blink.

~

"Kaida."

She doesn't even look at Shoto, skidding her chair back and walking away from him.

~

Kaida hasn't gotten much sleep. Overcoming her fear has set the past to continuously replay on repeat in her dreams. She wakes up shaking and afraid. As if the past has been repeated but this time while she was sleeping. She's slightly reassured seeing that her room is intact, but the only way to be fully calm is with her brother. He was her savior then, and he'll continue to be. Every night she ends up going through the same nightmare and ends up sleeping in her brother's room. He holds her, calming her and rubbing her back until she falls back asleep.

(You guys know that tiktok audio where it's like 'Do you blame yourself?' 'What?' Something about a situation some sort of guilt. 'What situation?' 'The accident.' That one. Yeah. Imagine that. As her constant nightmare.)

Kaida jolts away, breathing heavy. She worriedly looks around the room as tears form in her eyes. She wraps her arms around her legs, burrowing her face in her knees. She takes deep breaths as her voice cracks with sobs and leaves her room. She takes her pillow and shark plushie as she sluggishly walks to her brother's room.

Upon seeing her brother's face, she completely breaks down in sobs.

Katsuki's now fully awake, scooping his sister into his arms and getting her under the covers of his bed. She curls up on his chest, whimpering as he whispers soothing words and rubs circles on her back. He's been through this, he knows the routine. He knows exactly what to say and do to get her to calm down.

"Kaida, you're in high school. A high school for heroes. You're not a preschooler. Everyone is okay."

Katsuki has bags forming under his eyes. Kaida's eyes are sunken in and always red.