Mending Family Bonds

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"The seating in this place is ridiculous, utterly ridiculous! I should be seated two inches farther away from the window so I don't get tanned!" Audrey Bourgeois exclaimed in horror.

Andre Bourgeois was having a hard time reassuring his wife. "Now, dear, I'm sure it will be alright-"

"Alright! It is not alright!"

"Maybe getting slightly tanned isn't such a bad thing," Zoe cut in. She bit her tongue afterward, not sure if that was the right thing to say. But no worries. Chloe was there to have her back.

"She's right! You would look lovely with a slight tan mother!"

Audrey placed a hand on her hip as she thought about it. "You think so?"

All three other family members eagerly shook their heads.

"I suppose I won't have to fire the people working here then."

They ordered the first course of food when Zoe kicked Chloe's leg under the table. She was about to yell at her and asked why she did that when she saw her expression. Right. It was time to put the first part of their plan in motion.

"Mom, uh, at school, there's, a, uh, career day, where our parents show up, and tell the class about what their job is. I was wondering if maybe-"

"Your father can do that! I am much too busy!"

"It's just for-"

"Chlorine- Chloe, I've already told you! I will not do such a thing! Go to a mere classroom for children? Unthinkable!"

Chloe shot Zoe an I-told-you-so look. Zoe shrugged.

They waited a few minutes before trying again. This time, it was Zoe's turn. If they could just convince their mom to go to a fun event with them, or do something, anything at all with them, they could maybe get a little closer.

"Uh, mom?" Zoe asked.

"Yes, dear?" She said, hardly looking up from her phone.

"This Summer, when you're not too busy, I was thinking that maybe we should go back to New York. All of us. Together, as a family!"

Audrey shot her a look, and Zoe continued on before she could stop her. "Chloe's never been, well, once, but there's so much to show her! And it would be a fun experience, together-"

"Zoe, dear, you know how busy I am. That would be so exhausting to add to my schedule."

"Well, I suppose so. But...family is worth it...right?"

This was the moment of truth. Perhaps the one chance they had to see if their mother, deep, deep, down, actually cared about them. Both girls wished ever so dearly that she did, but a part of them wasn't so sure.

"Well, I..." Audrey let her words drift off as if she wasn't so sure herself. Everyone's hearts were racing. Then, before they could continue, the waiter came with their food.

Oh great. Chloe thought. There goes their one chance to find out if their mother even remotely cared about them.

"What kind of steak is this!" Audrey yelled, practically jumping out of her seat.

"T-bone. Cooked medium rare ma'am," the waiter said. Boy, he had no idea what he was in for.

"Medium rare! You call that medium rare! This is overcooked, burnt practically! You should be fired for this inconvenience immediately! Correct Zoe, Chloe?"

Both sisters stood idly by, without saying a word. A part of them naturally wanted to agree with their mother, yet, they couldn't anymore. They'd grown beyond that. They'd chosen to be different people. They weren't going to live in their mother's shadow.