Chapter FiftyFour

Some time ago - real world

"Your grip is good, but your stance could use some work," Asia said, walking around her boyfriend, slipping behind him, body flush against his as she nudged each of his feet out just a hair. "Arms up, slightly higher. Close range, you're good, but this far from the target, you're going to need to account for bullet drop." She leaned over Leo's shoulder and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.

"How does anyone ever manage to learn to shoot without your help?" Leo replied cheekily. "Which, by the way, I already know how to do. You're just perfecting my minor errors." He looked over his shoulder at her, grinning, before turning to face the target down the shooting range once more. He took a deep breath and pulled the trigger.

Asia grinned and pressed the button to bring the target closer towards them. "I really think that was a good round Leo, scout's honor," she held up three fingers in mock salute. "Not that I was ever a scout, but you know what I mean." The sheet of paper outlined like a human torso grew closer and closer. She really did have a good feeling about it, even if her tone had come off as playful and teasing. She wanted him to be a good shot, as good as she was if she could help it. That way, she could worry about him less.

"Look at that!" she said, jumping up and down. "Leo, look! A perfect shot. Bam!" she mimicked a gun shooting her with forefinger and thumb. "Bullseye, right to the heart!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Present Day

Man, did she regret that moment in history now. The irony of teaching her boyfriend to kill, only so he could be the one to finally do her in, was not lost on her. "Hello, Asia Monroe," he greeted, and her name sounded all wrong in his mouth. Not the way she was used to it, not a way she was certain she ever wanted to hear it again. "Seems after all of your hard work, you've found yourself at my mercy once again. It's a shame my patience has run out."

"Leo," she said, raising her hands slightly, taking a small step forward.

"Don't!" he said harshly, and she froze, still acutely aware of the gun pointed at her. "You don't get to say my name. Not after what you've done. You broke Ophelia's spine. You killed my father."

"it wasn't supposed to happen this way," she said quietly. "You don't see it now. But I promise, if you let me explain, you will. Aida took you away from us, from me. I came here to rescue you. I mean that."

"So your plan to rescue me was by killing my father?" He asked her evenly. "Right after he tells me he loves me, you murder him, in cold blood, while I can hear the whole thing happen?"

"I...I am so sorry. He attacked me. I have the bruises to prove it, if you want to see," her hand danced towards her neckline, but she reluctantly dropped it. Now wasn't the time and it wouldn't help anything. "I didn't mean to do it. You have to believe me."

"You've meant everything that you've done here!" Leo screamed at her. "All of it! You want to destroy this world and what we've created here. You want to destroy me! The woman that I love!" The words were like shards of glass to Asia's heart, as tears dripped slowly down her cheeks.

"She's lying to you," She said back in protest, her voice coming out weak and afraid. "This whole world that you've 'created' is exactly that. Something created. None of this is real. She certainly isn't real. Aida is just a robot that you and Dr. Radcliffe built together. A robot, Leo!" She felt like she was screaming at a brick wall.

"Her name is Ophelia," he said coldly and evenly, jabbing his pistol towards her for emphasis.

But Asia didn't shy away. She straightened her shoulders, a cold sense of anger rolling over her as she stared at him. "Its name is Aida. That stands for Artificially Intelligent Digital Assistant. A-I-D-A. Stop pretending like you don't understand me. Radcliffe told you the truth. I told you the truth as you tried to torture it out of me. Why would I lie? You held my life in the palm of your hands and I still told you that it is tricking you."