Chapter TwentyNine

Not a team at all the words echoed through Asia's head the entire time Leo explained their plan and she nodded along. They had to be a team for this. They had to, before things turned for the worst. But at least Leo had figured out a solution - and of course he had. Nothing else would have made more sense in that moment than him coming up with a solution to save the day.

So the two teams on the ground split apart. Asia went with the science team, ready to protect Leo and Jemma as needed, with Daisy, Radcliffe, and, of course, Aida along with them. If Daisy could actually control the seismic waves, that'd be incredibly beneficial for them. And Coulson, Mack, Yoyo, and Mace would lead the assault team. Or the distraction team, as Asia liked to think of them. And Robbie would be there too, of course. Once Coulson got that long length of chain in where Robbie could see it, hopefully he would understand what an important part of the plan he was.

On the lower level of the building, after Asia and Daisy had cleared a forced path through different groups of Eli's men, the Science Team began their work, while Daisy and Asia kept off whatever other soldiers happened to stray on the path of what they were doing. With a combined wave of energy and Asia's ice, Daisy knocked back the next set of two and Asia froze their bodies to the wall. Quick and tidy.

Asia knew high above, Coulson was laying the ground for their planned attack. She turned around, surveying their space. A cube of metal had been set up, which Jemma walked around, making sure every piece of tubing and wiring was in its exact place. Radcliffe was strapping the glowing gloves onto Aida's hands once more. "How are we doing?" Asia asked them, hoping for good answers.

"Everything is coming along fine," Jemma replied with a nod, looking down at her tablet then back to the structure she stood within. "The cube should be right above here, as measured. We're all set." She turned to Dr. Radcliffe.

"Alright," he said, hastily attaching the last clasp of the gloves to Aida's thin wrists. "Time for you to work your magic my dear."

"Doctor, it isn't magic," Aida replied with the cold tone of hers that she always carried. "Magic involves deception. I am not deceiving anyone here."

Radcliffe shook his head, letting go of her wrists. "No, no, Aida, I simply meant it's time for us, well, for you, really, to start connecting the power cells." He seemed flustered, trying to make her understand everything.

"It's a phrase," Asia supplied, with a quick roll of her eyes. "A saying. An expression that humans use." She felt Aida's eyes land on her for a moment, cold and studying. Asia didn't bother to look away, rather looked down at her hands nonchalantly. She wasn't even sure why she had offered the explanation to begin with. Perhaps to help Radcliffe. Certainly not to help Aida.

"Do you really think this magnet will hold him down?" Daisy asked, moving to stand beside Asia and inspect the cage of metal. As much as she had heard Leo explain the process, she had her doubts. It was hard not to, given the situation they were in. Because apparently whatever had changed Eli had given him the ability to pull elements from within the Earth and atmosphere.

"Agent Johnson," Aida looked to her for a moment, before going to stand in front of the large metal square. "The neodymium core is no ordinary magnet. It is the same device which enabled the Watchdogs to use their EMP and knock out several cities." Her explanation was quick and and concise, always to the point she was.

"I can't believe she's actually a robot," Daisy mused, crossing her arms over her chest. "She looks so...real and lifelike." She studied Aida up and down as the android smiled. The smile made a shiver run down Asia's spine. It just wasn't quite real.

"Thank you," Aida nodded, still smiling, at Daisy. "I am learning every day." Then, she turned away and moved to work with Dr. Radcliffe.

"Alright, alright," Jemma said, brow furrowing. "What Aida neglected to add was that the core is useless we actually get the other half properly in place." Jemma's words were somewhat spiteful, and Asia couldn't help but smile, pleased. Of course Jemma had her back on this.