"Oh yeah? So you just live with some random guy and a baby?"

"No, first of all, Asher is my friend, and second," there was no coming back from what I was about to say, "if you decided to do some basic math, you would've realized he's not just some baby. He's your baby."

Any previous rebuttal Justin had died on his lips as he just stares at me in silence, it feels like forever before he responds.

"We have a kid?" That is all he's able to utter out.

"A son, his name's Kaden, that's who Asher was holding when he answered the door." I start tapping my fingers on the table.

"When did you find out?"

"The day you left." I scoff and Justin takes in a sharp breathe at my answer, what terrible timing.

He whispers out a curse but doesn't say anything for a while, I look at my phone to check the time and realize my break is ending soon.

"Listen, I really hate to end like this, but I have to get back to the bakery."

He looks up at me as I stand, but doesn't say anything, just nods his head silently.

I breathe out an 'okay' and turn to leave, only turning when I hear him call my name.

"Addison hold on a second," I turn to see Justin jogging a bit to catch up with me. "I want to meet him. Please."

"Of course, we'll talk and plan a meeting." I give him a soft smile before walking back to the bakery.

I let him reach out to me so we can plan a day for him to come by and meet Kaden, we may be doing this on my terms but I don't want to pressure him.

It takes Justin about a week to call, and we planned to meet up today at my house since he obviously knows where I live.

Asher was working today, which works out seeing that the last time he and Justin met it wasn't exactly the best. 

The doorbell rings as I finish feeding Kaden, and the nerves start to build. 

"There's somebody at the door for you buddy," I smile as he tilts his head confused. "Do you wanna go see who it is?" 

I pick him up from the highchair and he babbles all the way to the door, stopping when he sees the unfamiliar man standing behind it.

Justin stands holding a bouquet and a gift bag, which I can only assume holds a toy to try and win Kaden over. 

In all honesty, it'll probably work too.

Kaden suddenly gets very shy and rests his head on my shoulder, bringing his hand to my chest.

"Kaden, sweetie, can you say hello?" He gives a small wave but still doesn't say anything. I invite Justin inside and lead him to the living room so we can sit and Kaden can play with his toys.

We sit down on the couch and just watch him for a while before Justin turns to me.

"How old is he now?"

"15 months, his birthday's in November, the 18th." I take a deep breath before continuing, "I was already pregnant before you left and just didn't know it."

"I'm so sorry Addie, I swear I would've stayed if I'd known." I'm getting a little tired of hearing him say sorry.

"Justin, I wouldn't want you to stay because I was pregnant, I wanted you to stay because you loved me and our relationship meant something to you. Either way, it doesn't matter, it happened and we need to move forward."

I don't give him a chance to respond before calling Kaden over from where he was playing trucks.

I pick him up and place him on my lap, getting ready to explain to him who Justin is. I don't even know how to do this.

"Kaden, this is Mumma's friend, he's your Dad. I'm your Mumma and he is your Daddy." There was no point in trying to sugar coat anything to a 2-year-old, it was easier to just come out and say it. 

He looks at me with the sweetest expression and just blinks before turning to Justin and smiling.

"Hi, Daddy." I don't think I've seen someone tear up as fast as Justin at this moment.

"Hi, Buddy, it's nice to finally meet you." He chokes out and smiles back, "I got you something, do you want to open it?"

"Yes! Please." Justin hands him the gift bag and Kaden takes a few moments just playing with the wrapping before getting to the actual gift. 

Another truck. 

I swear Kaden was a mechanic or a truck driver in a past life the way he loves cars.

He mumbles something the resembles a thank you and shuffles off my lap to add it to his collection on the floor.

"You didn't have to get him anything you know."

"I know, but I wanted to, makes up for all the things I missed."

I don't say anything, but Justin starts to speak again.

"I'm going to make it up to you, the both of you, not being here."

"You really don't have to," I was going to say more but Justin cuts me off.

"I know I don't, but I want to and I'm going to. No matter what it takes."

*****

I know it's been so long and I'm sorry. I hope this extra-long chapter makes up for it, I was going to split it into two but decided against it. 

This isn't going to be a super long book, I never planned on it. Probably no more than 20 chapters so we are reaching the end now.

It's reading week, I have a break from school so I'm going to try and get another chapter done before it ends and I'm swamped with assignments again.

What do you guys think is going to happen next? What do you want to happen next?

Don't forget to comment and vote!

Have a warm, morning, afternoon, evening, and night