Chapter 45- Family Affairs

Börja om från början

"Anyway, let us not be too though on Lord Borbello. He is Jennifer's grandfather, after all. Family. Our dear Jennifer's family. A warning would do. I suppose, however, the time has come for his son to take over. I believe him to be a very sensible man." ended Belladonna with a pleasant tune.

"Yes. And he will. Tomorrow no less, I have a talk with the Emperor about it." asserted the duke.

"You are faster than me, brother. I should too, move quick."

"Indeed, you should. Ferabiniche did not work alone. I will have those from nobility... The Temple, however, is your responsibility." There was an icy strike in his voice as he set the cup away.

"Worry not. Those old men are already turning on each other. It is almost funny. Old fools... They once believed themselves bigger than me. I gave them the illusion of power, but it was a mistake to think it would bring me peace... The cleaning begins, tomorrow they will be dead, though they have yet to know that..." the lightness in her voice continued to rub off on me.

"Not just that... what about the Empress? She is your strongest supporter." He said with venomous intent.

His sister sighed and waited a beat.

"You know we cannot march into the palace with just the word of those old buggers. Besides, it was the help of prince Francis that prevented our dear children from falling into perpetual darkness. We cannot repay kindness with blood. Not in such a forward way at least."

The duke's eyes burned with a blackness that brought even the most brave man to his knees. "Of course... Not now. But the Empress, she is not that smart. One day she will make a mistake she cannot undo and on that day sister, I want you out of my way."

"When that day comes, I will be off on the opposite side, I can guarantee you that much." the sound of her voice was severe and the surrounding air gloomy. "But I must ask you to be softer with lord Joshua. I understand your anger. I too was angry at his involvement. However, we have to think he is just a child. A precious child of the Goddess."

"You protect him even after this?!" the duke raised his voice, and then, as if something finally processed on his head, he gave a wicked smile of disbelief. "Ah... I should have guessed... it was you! You whispered in the court about how great the union would have been. It was you who brought that trash into our household!"

"Don't say those things! He is to become the great Duke of the North." she yelled back, before taking a deep breath and return to her calmer state. "I did it because I believe him to be the best option for Lucreatia."

Ewww... no aunt. No, very, very, very far from there. Out of the mark by thousands.

The duke's devilish smile grew big as he took a paper out of his pocket jacket. It was very similar to the one Lady Beatrice wanted to me sign, though from our place I couldn't read what it said. But Beladonna sure could...

"I cannot believe this! You made him sign a candidacy removal?!" OH YES!!! Thank Goddess for overprotective crap of the Duke!! "Do you know how hard it was to give Lucreatia a chance for happiness? Or do you prefer her to be married to a nobody?! Now I have to.."

No, you have to do nothing, aunt! No more matchmaking! You are clearly horrible at it!!!

"Donna, I will keep this sealed away." Uh, what?! An uncertainty filled the room. " As you said, there is no one best suited for Lucreatia than a future Great Duke. So I will keep it, knowing full well that Lord Joshua will be afraid of pursing her after this incident. Only when he recovers from his shame, bound to happen as he is tenacious like a coackroach, will I use the paper. Until that time, however, he will be my shield to protect Lucreatia from pesky things..."

Ohhhhhh duke you are genius... Evil genius... Nice!

"Not from a prince though." She retorted, making the duke shake and break his cup with a fist, the loud sound a clear message. "It seems this is the most we can talk today... I will go see Lucreatia." Beladonna got up, her back to the duke.

"There is no need for such, my dear sister. I am sure you are busy with the robberies in the west and with your cleaning duties. Besides, I have called Emmanuel, and he is on his way." The duke took a handkerchief from his other pocket, soaking it with his blood that gushed out of his hand.

Beladonna turned to him, and I saw the face of disgust that filled her, her hands closed in fists. The intensity of her light, coming out as a warm sun into the room. "To think, you would prefer the help of that traitor than of your sister!" with her light came a voice that sounded like thunder, making us shake as if we were under a storm.

The duke seemed calm and unaffected, not even glancing back at her. "As far as I know, you had him in great esteem before. Until he didn't agree with you, that's it." Belladonna's hair flared up and moved with an unseen force. The warmth that she emanated made me and Jenni sweat. About to turn to leave, her eyes darted when she remembered something.

"Brother, you must take care of Lucreatia's bracelet." he looked at her. "It is broken, and we Mountnero don't use broken things. We break them." And then she stormed off, leaving winter in the room and an extremely pale duke.

Sooooo what do you think?!

I hope you enjoyed the showdown of the Mountnero siblings XD

And how much did you like the duke's way of using Joshua? I thougth it was very like him to do such thing XD