Thirteen

Rosinante's POV

Thirteen years pass fast if you are locked in a dark cell with almost no visitors.

But Corazon tried to keep his sanity, believing in some miracle that would happen in the future to free him.

He usually used his ability to create silence. He didn't get Sea Stone chains since his brother didn't know about his Devil Fruit.

And he preferred to sit in darkness because this way he could remember her face clearer.

Rosinante heard her laughing, saw her smile, recalled the warmth of her body. He spent time every day to refresh all his treasured memories of the time they spent together.

He is scared of losing anything because forgetting things is evil, sneaking into your mind, and stealing important parts of your soul without leaving a trace.

Until once you wake up and realize how little you have left.

Rosinante couldn't let this happen. He was the only one who truly saw fragments of who she was.

He often thought about Law too, trying to keep everything through the years in the dark cell. He was also mad at Mihawk because he didn't do anything to save her.

Her death was her decision, but she deserved to live.

Corazon only received food, water, some books, and cigarette a few times.

But then the day came when Doflamingo lost in Dressrosa and the prisoners were set free.

.

.

.

What can a man do with freedom after so much loneliness?

At first, he didn't know the answer. But after he could reunion with Law, suddenly his life found meaning again.

And still, something was missing. It took him quite a long time to decide to fill the hollow.

Donquixote Rosinante returned to the island where he met and lost the woman he loved.

It was harder than he imagined. Going through the same lines of the coast until he reached that one field where two sacrifices happened, only one completed.

The world will never know why [Y/N] died, as this place lost evidence of it too.

The grass grew out where they stood, plants and flowers covering the dust where her corpse lay.

In a way, it's beautiful.

Corazon sits down around that place and lights up a cigarette, blowing out the smoke.

A second later he starts cursing and rolls on the ground to put out the fire of his coat.

But this wasn't the most dangerous threat this time.

And he screams scaredly when something meows with pure aggression under him.

The blonde man jumps up with widened eyes and notices a huge, ancient red cat on the ground which hisses at him pissedly.

Don't tell me...

-Durchdenwald?

The cat bristles its fur and claws the air in front of him.

-So it's you. -sighs Rosinante. -Didn't expect to meet you again, after you disappeared into thin air.

Waldy meows sassily and turns around. Corazon watches it leaving towards the forest and he strokes the grass one last time, then wipes away a tear.